Puppy farms - are they really so bad?

I was looking for a puppy 4 months ago. Not easy to know which were farmed puppie and which were not, but we ended up at someones home, and now have a lovely 6 1/2 month old border collie.

Hopefully, had things not been right, we would not have bought her, but we are first time dog owners, so might not have seen the harm if things were not right.

But surely if there are issues with puppy farms, they will get reported and closed down; perhaps it is just blown up by the media?

Searching online for puppies was the easiest way for me, but if things went wrong I would have certainly reported it.

I have never heard of staffies and that type of dog being bred at puppy farms, why is that?

More staffie type dogs in rescue, than any other type of dog, is that right? So perhaps we should be stopping staffie breeding? It was on channel 4 last night, 'dogs - their secret life' - it said that springer spaniels are one of the most agressive dog breeds, not staffies ;)

More staffie type dogs in rescue, than any other type of dog, is that right? So perhaps we should be stopping staffie breeding? It was on channel 4 last night, 'dogs - their secret life' - it said that springer spaniels are one of the most agressive dog breeds, not staffies ;)
No. The program and the presenter said that this particular springer spaniel was the most aggressive of the 5 (individual-) dogs shown on the photographs.

But what the presenter was doing, was to ask random people to order the photographs according to how aggressive they believed the breeds were (with, unsurprisingly, the rottweiler and pitbull consistently top of the list, the german shepherd consistently half-way, and the springer and golden retriever consistently the friendliest).

It was not representative of the breeds' respective traits, other than to demonstrate people's prejudices about breeds. Very poor journalism/time-filler material I thought.

FWIW I though that springer was not aggressive at all, she was simply scared (bark and reposition/retreat close to her owner only, no show of teeth or growling or arching): her body language was clear as day. She was nothing like the great dane (first in program) or the rescue terrier (last one in program), now these dogs were aggressive. It was quite a poor program overall.

EDIT: and yes, puppy farms really are so bad. There's no need to farm, other than when seeking to maximise profits. That attitude goes hand in hand with cutting corners along the entire 'chain', from procreation to gestation through to early weeks' care. There's also a ton and a half of dogs in rescue centres waiting for a second chance at a decent life, at any given time - significantly more so ever since the recession started, and to this day still I'm told.

Edited by L00b

No. The program and the presenter said that this particular springer spaniel was the most aggressive of the 5 (individual-) dogs shown on the photographs.

Some good parts to the program, it would have been good to hear more about springer spaniels; I tried to find the correct wording of what they said, I didnt do too bad ;)

---------- Post added 27-08-2014 at 11:43 ----------

There's also a ton and a half of dogs in rescue centres waiting for a second chance at a decent life, at any given time - significantly more so ever since the recession started, and to this day still I'm told.

I have no reason to believe that the above is untrue, but a quick google says that dogs in resue centres come from strays and people bringing dogs into them. I would have thought that puppy farms would make a small percentage of resue dogs, otherwise they would mention it on their web site.

Yes they are really that bad.

Puppy farms care only about profit. This isn't good for the dogs that are usually kept in disgusting conditions, and it isn't good for the consumer either who often end up with sick puppies.

I'm not sure you watched the same programme I did, but the point was very clear that there is no way to tell which dogs are aggressive and which aren't by their breed. Dogs are individuals and no dog should ever be assumed to be safe because you believe there is such thing as 'safe' breeds, there are not, and this is a dangerous attitude to have.

I think the point about the springer was that it would more than likely have gone on to become aggressive if the issue hadn't been addressed, they did make it clear it was a fear based reaction.

The reason puppy farms don't breed staffies is because there isn't the consumer market for them. As I said earlier, all they care about is making money so of course they're going to breed dogs that will sell quickly and for a high price. Increasingly this is ridiculous cross breeds given stupid names such as 'juggles', 'chi-poos' and other such nonsense. Anything that's reasonable small and cute looking with a 'funny' name will shift to idiots who'll pay £500-£1000 for them.

There are a lot of staffie types in rescues because they (sadly) are often owned by absolute idiots who let them breed indiscriminately then find they can't get rid of the pups, they don't care who the pups go to so they end up with unsuitable people who abandon them, and then they themselves give up the dog when little baby Charmain is born because they 'don't have the time'.

It would be good to see a reduction in staffie breeding and numbers because there are simply too many of them and not enough homes.

If you're looking for a dog, you should either rehome one from a reputable rescue centre - you can get puppies this way and they'll be health checked and only cost around £100 (no brainer IMO). OR if you want to buy one then buy from an established, reputable breeder and be prepared to go on a waiting list.

I'm not sure you watched the same programme I did, but the point was very clear that there is no way to tell which dogs are aggressive and which aren't by their breed.

I watched some of it, and I agree with the above. But I am unsure why they picked on the spaniel as being more aggresive than the others.

---------- Post added 27-08-2014 at 12:48 ----------

Not sure why this thread got moved to the Sheffield section, it is about puppy farms in general, not in Sheffield.

I have no reason to believe that the above is untrue, but a quick google says that dogs in resue centres come from strays and people bringing dogs into them.
Surprised you needed Google to tell you that, but hey-ho.

Don't forget to add dogs rescued (removed) by the RSPCA.

I would have thought that puppy farms would make a small percentage of resue dogs, otherwise they would mention it on their web site.
Why would they? :confused:

Of course ex-puppy farms will only constitute a very small percentage of rescue dogs: they only end up in rescue after a successful prosecution of the farm owners/their removal by the RSPCA. That still doesn't happen frequently enough, sadly.

I get the impression from your posts that you're more bothered about pups/getting a pup, than 'a dog'.

I'd sooner rescue a young or mature dog than keep puppy farms in business with buying a pup off one.

For that matter, there are positively tons of breeders about at any one time, some highly reputable of course, and plenty more without 'reputation' as such but perfectly safe, responsible and caring.

Edited by L00b

First sign of a puppy farm - more than one breed available.

After that they would be politely called a back yard breeder in my experience - although i know at least one back yard breeder who has bred jack russells and cocker spaniels from her home.

Personally i don't watch any programmes on pets or rescuing - being honest because they never represent my opinions or those of grass roots rescues that i know.

The origin of a bred dog has nothing to do with it landing in a rescue centre it's to do with the "idiots" who buy them.

You wouldn't believe how many BC's are given away FREE - within the agility arena -because people have no idea what they've bought. The difference is, and i use it only as an example of a breed you obviously favour, people will happily have a free pedigree dog that they are familiar with.

Personally i don't watch any programmes on pets or rescuing - being honest because they never represent my opinions or those of grass roots rescues that i know.
I happened to watch it (loosely) because my Mrs was watching it at the time - I was far too preoccupied with iOS World of Tanks :blush::D

And she was watching it, because she's still far too anxious for her own good (which is the core issue) about how unpredictably anti-social our (rescue) patterdale is (fine with some, not with others, sometimes not fine with some he's been fine with...can a dog be bipolar?), and was looking for some pointers from the show.

It's not as if (1) I haven't had terriers for most of my life, (2) she's ever had any dog before ours and (3) I haven't explained to her how to do it a 100 times before, and to chillax as much as possible to begin with...but I'm the husband, so what could I possibly know better than a TV celeb dog whisperer? :lol:

It's taken a long time to get him better, and he's still not quite there, because there's been a Himalaya of past psycho-physical trauma to clean up. But we'll get there. Well past the halfway point already :)

Edited by L00b

I happened to watch it (loosely) because my Mrs was watching it at the time - I was far too preoccupied with iOS World of Tanks :blush::D

And she was watching it, because she's still far too anxious for her own good (which is the core issue) about how anti-social our (rescue) patterdale is, and was looking for some pointers from the show.

It's not as if (1) I haven't had terriers for most of my life, (2) she's ever had any dog before ours and (3) I haven't explained to her how to do it a 100 times before, and to chillax as much as possible to begin with...but I'm the husband, so what could I possibly know better than a TV celeb dog whisperer? :lol:

It's taken a long time to get him better, and he's still not quite there, because there's been a Himalaya of past psycho-physical trauma to clean up. But we'll get there. Well past the halfway point already :)

Its never easy though is it really? I think tv shows make it look that way and gloss over the facts.

I heard a professional shepherd on Radio Sheffield today who admitted it had taken 3 years of training to make his dog stand still on his command. There are some dog owners who don't give them 3 weeks.

Its never easy though is it really?
No, really not. It's always a bit of a lottery with "rescues" (I've only ever had rescues or "give-away" runts)...

...but it's what you do about it, once you become fully aware of the extent of the antecedent(s)/problem(s) <if any>, which in my eyes defines at least a little what kind of person you are. To begin with, whether you have enough moral fibre, sense of responsibility, resilience and patience to own a dog.

Agree with you about TV programs - but then again, they're made for entertainment, à la houses under the hammer, a place in the sun, dragon's den and other such vacuous schedule-filling 'lifestyle' shows. I rarely pay the idiot box that much attention these days ;)

Edited by L00b

I am new to dogs, and I did often watch the Cesar Milan programs, but it does surprise me how much he has now become a hated figure by some. The mere mention of an Alpha male on some pet forums, and people blow their tops ;)

I am new to dogs, and I did often watch the Cesar Milan programs, but it does surprise me how much he has now become a hated figure by some. The mere mention of an Alpha male on some pet forums, and people blow their tops ;)

You'll get lots of people who dislike him when there are so many well documented instances of him causing harm to dogs that are in his care. It's one of those things that dog lovers tend to dislike you know...

And yes, puppy farms are that bad. Any puppy bred for profit rather than bred carefully from healthy and good natured parents to be a healthy and good natured puppy has a much higher risk of being in pain for life with long term health problems, irrelevant of the neglect and downright abuse of the parent animals which are just discarded when they can no longer make money for their owners.