Temporary (12 days) foster home wanted for older cat

We're urgently looking for someone to temporarily foster our 14 year old marmalade/white, neutered, female cat for 11 or 12 days while we're away. She has some health issues and she will need you to regularly check her litter tray and keep it tidy. Her health condition is currently stable (she had a check-up and a steroid injection, today) - she's a tough little thing. She doesn't have any regular medication or special requirements. She's sometimes playful but spends most of her time, sleeping.

She is shy with strangers (and is naturally inclined to be nervous and a bit neurotic from time to time, even with us) but she is very sweet and affectionate if you take your time with her and allow her to come to you when she's ready. She would probably be happier if she didn't have any competition from any other pets and, although - at home - she is used to nipping outside for five minutes every now and again, she usually spends virtually all her time indoors.

* We had a long discussion with the vet about the benefits of her staying with someone else in their home rather than her staying alone in ours.

We live in S8. If you think you might be able to help us, please get in touch. We will be happy to answer any questions, off-forum.

Edited by beepee
More information

We're urgently looking for someone to temporarily foster our 14 year old marmalade/white, neutered, female cat for 11 or 12 days while we're away. She has some health issues and she will need you to regularly check her litter tray and keep it tidy. Her health condition is currently stable (she had a check-up and a steroid injection, today). She is shy with strangers and is inclined to be nervous and a bit neurotic but is she very sweet and affectionate when she relaxes. She would probably be less stressed if she didn't have any competition from any other pets and, although she is used to nipping outside for five minutes when the fancy takes her, she is used to spending almost all her time indoors.

We live in S8. If you think you might be able to help us please get in touch. We will be happy to answer any questions, off-forum.

Hi I am not being funny , but surely fostering her isn't an option , removing her from her home environment could destabilize her condition also she can't just go out somewhere strange she will be scared and run away , cats like their own things around them , they like their homes , have you considered a pet carer who can check on her through the day and then she will feel more comfortable in her known environment. If you are interested i do offer this service , there are people on here who will vouch for my credentials

Hi I am not being funny , but surely fostering her isn't an option , removing her from her home environment could destabilize her condition also she can't just go out somewhere strange she will be scared and run away , cats like their own things around them , they like their homes , have you considered a pet carer who can check on her through the day and then she will feel more comfortable in her known environment. If you are interested i do offer this service , there are people on here who will vouch for my credentials

Totally agree with teeny your cats welfare is paramount and she will be stressed if placed into a strange home,get teeny to pop over and check on her for you she will look after your cat until your home.:)

Yes, I think you need a pet sitter rather than a foster carer for your cat.

Thanks for your responses everyone and for your concern for her.

Still looking for someone who can offer to look after her in their own home.

Happy to discuss the details in private, with a potential, temporary foster parent.

Thanks for your responses everyone and for your concern for her.

Still looking for someone who can offer to look after her in their own home.

Happy to discuss the details in private, with a potential, temporary foster parent.

Please discus this idea with you vet !! as a matter of urgency

your cat sounds quite ill as well as old,

surely if the worst happens to her you as her owner would be happier she went in familiar surroundings and not in someones house

get teeny to cat sit sure she will be happier i wouldnt even consider fostering

I really don't know why you assume that I haven't discussed it with my vet!

---------- Post added 21-08-2014 at 20:10 ----------

If there IS anyone out there who might be interested in having our cat to stay with you, please be assured that we have discussed the benefits of foster care with our vet, earlier today.

I appreciate that everyone who has responded so far is concerned for our cat's welfare.

Edited by beepee
Clarification

I really don't know why you assume that I haven't discussed it with my vet!

---------- Post added 21-08-2014 at 20:10 ----------

If there IS anyone out there who might be interested in having our cat to stay with you, please be assured that we have discussed the benefits of foster care with our vet, earlier today.

I appreciate that everyone who has responded so far is concerned for our cat's welfare.

Any vet who knows about cats would say it's not a good idea ! If you speak to any of the vets I deal with Peak vets they would tell you cats like their own homes they get stressed in the car on the way to the cattery etc a cat that is unwell elderly they find it so hard to adjust let alone having loads of strangers where they are , your cat may go off her food , lose weight , pine for her own surroundings , I am not touting for buisness I care passionately about the welfare of animals , as part of my buisness , I have seen to many problems with cats who have been away from home , even 2 which were lost when accidentally a door to the outside was left open ! I also know of a pet sitter in greystones who has recently lost a cat through a window ! As the cat was so desparate to go home ! Any of my customers would tell you their cats are less stressed etc with a sitter coming in , I have heart , thyroid and diabetic cats in my care also I have had a seriously ill cat who was having chemo left on my care so as not to distress her .

Teeny, I appreciate the fact that cats get stressed away from home. We've had our cat since she was a kitten and she's now 14, we also looked after her sister for eight years.

Our vet didn't feel it necessary to lecture us when we talked about temporary foster care. She tried to be supportive in difficult circumstances. There are far worse things that can happen to a cat than staying in a foster home for a few days.

Teeny, I appreciate the fact that cats get stressed away from home. We've had our cat since she was a kitten and she's now 14, we also looked after her sister for eight years.

Our vet didn't feel it necessary to lecture us when we talked about temporary foster care. She tried to be supportive in difficult circumstances. There are far worse things that can happen to a cat than staying in a foster home for a few days.

12 days is a long time for a cat to be away from home !

I don't know if I'm a bit dim but why does the cat need a foster home?