Price of a pint

In 1950 the price of a pint was about 8d, or 4p new money. When I went to Plymouth, in the RN, the price of a pint of scrumpy (cider) was 6d, it was really rough stuff.

hiya today I had an ambulance to the hallamshire hospital and talking to the ambulance man he was a lot younger than me, anyhow we were talking in general about the price of various things and beer was one in 1958/9 a pint of Tetley's in the dog and gun headford st was 1s 3d bitter, mild was a penny cheaper. and I told him 2 years before that we at 16/17 were too young to go in the pub and the only place we could go was the snooker hall.

we would wander around town just window shopping and wandered diwn snig hill and have a look in winstons shop window and he was amazed when I told him some of the price's like cut away collared shirt 29s.11d, slim jim tie 15s, that was a shirt = 30 pints, beer, tie =15 pints beer, some suits in barnie goodmans £30.

Edited by willybite

Stones' keg bitter was called simply "Keg"; when ordinary Stones bitter was 1s.10d, the Keg was 2s. I also seem to remember a type of bitter called "Amber" - maybe it was Tennants?

Amber was Worksop ales, before the takeover.

Edited by ptrA
incorrect

Hello, just a quick note; there are some really interesting videos on the subject of Trades and Crafts in Sheffield in the 1970's-80's. There are still a few men left who can do this sort of work but no apprentices. see Taliesin Pewter You tube videos, on You Tube.

They are not littered with ad's, as so many things are these days.

Taliesin Pewter.co.uk is a small, Sheffield, company that is trying to keep the old skills alive. We have a small hip flask which is similar to the James Dixon Powder flasks. We have repaired several items of old, James Dixon metalware and hip flasks, sensitively done. We make hip flasks etc using traditional methods and materials. Please visit the site.

Amber was Worksop ales, I think Stones took them over.

Stones used to brew three bitters, only available in a few pubs and only made two available in the chosen few pubs. Sheaf House, sold Best bitter and Dark Bitter (not mild) further down the Lane the Cricketers sold Best Bitter and Ordinary Bitter. Then they switched to Best Bitter only. However there were two types of Best Bitter. I asked a Stones delivery driver why the beer at Fleur de Lys tasted different to the Crown. His response was there are actually two types. One things for sure the Best Bitter at the Crown was a lot better than the Fleur.

just had a pint of Don Jon real ale in Worksop at the Grafton --£2.10p--4.7%----great pint at a great price----cheers again

just had a pint of Don Jon real ale in Worksop at the Grafton --£2.10p--4.7%----great pint at a great price----cheers again

Another Worksop Brewery drink, it used to be a lot stronger and only available around Christmas time in small (barley wine) bottles, I'm talking 1957

Wasn't Shipstones another Nottinghamshire brewery? I remember in 1967-68 Shipstones bitter was 1s.8d a pint in my then local in Doncaster.

Had my first pint at the Penguin Shiregreen in 1966 it was 1/8 a pint of john smiths which is about 8p in todays money.For a pint of magnet it was 1/10p.Just come back from outside Maccelsfield Cheshire in foot ballers territory it was £6 pound a bloody pint I repeat £6 a pint.£1.00 a bag of crisps,£1.50 a bag of salted nuts.I came back sober.

had my first pint aged 15 summer 1967 in the crown and anchor Selby, Mild 1/6 bitter was 1/9.

Can't remember whay it was BYB or Whitbread comes to mind.

In the late 1950s a pint of John Smith's mild was 1 shilling at my parent's off-licence.

I don,t know if its my imagination but apart from the price of a pint the quality has gone down as the price has shot up!.Back in the day of my first tasting of bitter beer it always tasted better than todays samples on sale,I tried them all Stones,Wards,Tetleys,Smiths John and Sams to name a few,they all had a distinctive taste,all palatable not like the gassy high speed brews on offer today!.Thank God for the small independent brewers that have sprung up lately,way back my favourite was Stones best bitter from the old brewery not the Bass-Charington rubbish,another favourite black and tan,half Stones with half Mackeson stout!.I,ve had some mega hangovers from that concoction,my head aches thinking about it!.