Dyslexia in the workplace

When I was a child I was diagnosed with Dyslexia. 30 years later I am having problems at work.

I deliver drugs to chemists and doctors and have a long list of invoice numbers that I have to check against what I have put on my van.

I use a highlighter pen to do this.

The problem is that I simply do not see the invoice numbers that I have not marked.

I am constantly having disciplinary for this.

I have told them what I think the problem is but they wont listen. They just think I am rushing and doing a sloppy job.

“ITS NOT DYSLEXIA, THEY ARE NUMBERS NOT WORDS”

I simply do not sea them.

I cant use word like:

There

Their

Witch

Whitch

Been

Bean

See

Sea

etc etc

I have to spell check everything and then use thesaurus to make sure.

I like to reed but I occasional reed the same line in my book 2 or 3 times.

Is it enough for me to tell them or should I get a note from the Doctor.

All the management where I work seem to be bloody experts on this

Does any one else suffer with this problem?

I am thinking of going down the line of disabilities act!

http://www.dyslexia.com/library/symptoms.htm

Rant over

they should make allowances as it is a disability and im sure there must be places that will help and support you,if your in a union this might be a good place to start sorry not very helpful

How is this affecting your deliveries? Are you saying that you don't deliver the ones you haven't marked? Or that you don't load the ones you haven't marked on your van?

I'm not unsympathic but if you either don't load them or don't deliver them, you're not able to do the job properly, are you?

Can you clarify how it's actually affecting your efficiency at work?

PS, I don't think there's any such word as 'whitch', is there? Do you mean 'which'?

Edited by rubydazzler

I don't know for definite, but I'd say that if your problems with numbers are caused by your dyslexia then they're being discriminatory! I'd say go to C.A.B and ask what they think.

Hope that helps :)

Can I suggest trying coloured acetate over the sheets your working from. My sister has to use them as she like you misses word and numbers if they are not highlighted correctly

The problem nowadays is so many people claim to have dyslexia who simply didn't go to school and just have no English capability. There's a big difference between genuine dyslexia and being an ignorant numpty. Though I'm no one to judge, you definitely sound as though you have dyslexia, OP.

Dyslexia with numbers is called Dyscalculia.

I would talk to your GP and explain what the problem is and ask if they can refer you for a dyslexia assessment you can take and use to prove you have problems. The report they do should also give you advice on how you can manage the dyslexia, like for example using a highlighter pen like you are doing, but they might have other suggestions that could help.

If your employer is causing problems and won't wait for this evidence then either talk to your Union or as a last resort contact these people. They are very overstretched, so only use them as a last resort but they are good, know their stuff and will do what they can to help.

http://www.sohas.co.uk/advice_for_patients.php

Edited by Wildcat

Can I suggest trying coloured acetate over the sheets your working from. My sister has to use them as she like you misses word and numbers if they are not highlighted correctly

My nephew as something like that he cant make out text on white paper and has pink tinted glasses to help him read.

Although employers are required to make reasonable adjustments to allow people with disabilities to do their job, I'm at a loss to work out exactly what they could do to help you with this problem.

And if there's nothing they can do to help, then you obviously can't do the job properly, and you might be better trying to find a new job, before they decide to give you the sack.

My nephew as something like that he cant make out text on white paper and has pink tinted glasses to help him read.

Yeah they offered my sister the option of having her glasses tinted but she wasnt really in love with the idea (pale blue helps her best...not a great look) But at work she has blue paper and blue acetates if she needs them. She could not do her job to the level she does without it!

Although employers are required to make reasonable adjustments to allow people with disabilities to do their job, I'm at a loss to work out exactly what they could do to help you with this problem.

And if there's nothing they can do to help, then you obviously can't do the job properly, and you might be better trying to find a new job, before they decide to give you the sack.

I think all he needs as an adjustment is a bit more time and some assistive aids to help him to read the characters.