Autism rate in adults the same as in children

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8268302.stm

The first study of Autism rates in adults has shown that there is no difference between adults and children. MMR has only been available since the early 90s so if MMR caused Autism the rate in children should be higher but it isn't.

Just goes to show that perceived increases in Autism is down to better diagnosis.

Another nail in the coffin of Wakefield's big lie.

Interesting report.

My sister has Autism, (middle child of three) and her son (also the middle child of three!) has Autism, too. (same kind).

I seem to remember that it was not something easily diagnosed, and didn't seem to be heard about back then (in the 1960s).

Maybe it was that disability in general was hidden, it was not really spoken about.

I remember only two other children, back then, round where I lived, who were disabled, one had Cerebral Palsy, the other had Spina Bifida.

The doctors recommended to my mother that my sister be put in an institution. "You'll be lucky if she learns to walk and talk, and feed herself! Put her in a home, and forget about her, go and have another child..." :wow: (a commonplace attitude back then, sadly) :mad:

My mother gave the doctors very short shrift, saying "*Swearwords- swearwords* This is my child you are talking about, here!! There's no way I'm allowing her to go in any home!"

I was five, and my sister was three when she was diagnosed. I remember misunderstanding what was said, and proudly telling folk "My sister is artistic!" funnily enough, artistry is her talent. :D

Now, forty years on from then, the tot that those doctors wrote off, is a strapping 43-year-old woman.

She is married with three children.

She and her husband own their own home, and, despite her learning difficulties, (which have lessened a little over the years) she does fantastically well.

She is a fabulous mother, and I'm so darn proud of that lass, and I love her to bits..

I just wonder how long until someone comes and says "yeah, but that just means it is something else in the vaccines that is delivered in all vaccines"

I imagine the surge that seemed to happen in diagnoses of Autism are possibly from folk being more aware of Autism, and recognising clues to someone being on the Autistic Spectrum.

The other theory put forward, which I read about a couple of years ago, was that the timing of the MMR jabs being administered coincides with the timing of when very obvious signs of Autism start to become apparent (15/18 months to 2 years of age approx) in children.

As I understand it (as the sister/ aunt/cousin of people with Autism) the Autistic person cannot shut off stimuli. EG:- we are in a crowded room, talking to a friend, we can pretty much hone in on the friend and follow the conversation, but, with someone who is autistic, they cannot shut out the other conversations and music etc, which "overloads" them. It cannot be pleasant for them. I have enough of it, if there's noise when I'm tired. To be unable to switch off must be dreadful.