Red light and police

hi everyone ,last week my wife received 3 points on her licence and a 60 pound fine for going through a red light ,the traffic police pulled her and said it was on his camera and could not let it go ,but he did not show her, we went to the police station and the woman was very vague but basically if you wish to contest it you have to go to court. what i am asking is does anyone know the proceedure the police should take and have we the right to view the footage ?if she went through on red fair enough but how can we be sure ?

This once happened to me, I argued that had I stopped then the car behind had a good chance of colliding with me, so I made the decision that it was safer to continue................ never heard anythin after that

I think a good solicitor can get you to view it as it would be needed for any defence, but in the cases ive heard of they initially try to refuse or rarely they do let you view it at the station in their presence. Could always bluff it and hope they haven't actually got it. lol

Try here - a very good site

http://www.pepipoo.com/ here you go.... http://www.pepipoo.com/Disclosure.htm and here http://www.pepipoo.com/Disclosure.htm#Legal_Position

Edited by random0082

hi everyone ,last week my wife received 3 points on her licence and a 60 pound fine for going through a red light ,the traffic police pulled her and said it was on his camera and could not let it go ,but he did not show her, we went to the police station and the woman was very vague but basically if you wish to contest it you have to go to court. what i am asking is does anyone know the proceedure the police should take and have we the right to view the footage ?if she went through on red fair enough but how can we be sure ?

Hello yes you have right to request video evidence.

If you plead not guilty (contest the fixed penalty) you would then normally receive paperwork with a court time and date hearing. This paper work should contain the name and number of the officer who issued you with the fixed penalty notice. You need to then ring the court office to find out the telephone number of the department of this officer (ie traffic etc) to request the video evidence. From what you have written it sounds to me as though the police car video equipment was 'Provido'. ie the type that records footage on TV programs like police camera action.

Edited by CNCskilled
spelling

Just to add - you would be wasting your time and quite a bit of money going down the solicitor route. Not many want to deal with traffic offences unless of course you are a rich footballer ;o)

Does she seriously not know if she went through a red light? Whether you contest the fine or not is kind of irrelevant if she doesn't take the lesson from it which is clearly to pay a bit more attention.

there is always one isnt there, my questions are in relation to police proceedure and evidence not on lessons in driving ,go and bother someone else .

Not bothering - but it would seem to be a valid point - does she know she went though a red light? Or genuinely believe she didn't? I think I'd want to know that before letting my missus spend thousands on a solicitor. But good luck!

Better to pay the £60 unless your sure she didn't do it.

Dibble will always win in these cases.

If you don't know if you have gone thru a red light or not, doesn't say much for your level of awareness on the road. Any talk of contesting it seems a bit silly.

Only proceed if your absolutely sure. the video is your evidence as much as theirs

and you are entitled to see it. do not be fobbed off.

yes this is the point of this topic there is doubt on my wifes part she simply does not know ,why didnt the pc show her on his camera then there is no doubt ,3points 60 pound be carefull end of story.

How would you not know you'd shot a red light?

shudagonetospecksavers...doh!