Car Insurance comparison..Sheffield and Liverpool.

My son is off to Liverpool uni tomorrow. He just called to notify them of his change of address. I expected the premium to rise...but not by £520 and that's not even for a full year!

He is already paying £1750...so that's over a 33% rise for living in Liverpool!

Taking the p?ss or what! Or is it really that bad for car crime on Merseyside?

Insurance for young drivers is an absolute disgrace, it's when you see the stupid prices that you can justify why younger drivers stretch the truth on their insurance policies, no one at 17/18 can afford over 200pounds a month insurance and to live and pay board on 30pound a week EMA or 80pound a week average.

Car crime is rife in Liverpool. It is reflected in the insurance premiums. Why can't he get insured here then live in Liverpool?

It is normal. When I moved to Sheffield mine doubled I think. What was really odd was that it then doubled again when I moved within S8 :loopy:

Another thing to bear in mind is that the rise may be greater because you'r eamending an existing policy. At renewal time they may be able to find you one more suited to Liverpool, so the 33% rise may not be ongoing

Responsible young drivers of course will always be penalised because many young drivers are not responsible.

My daughter was at Liverpool Uni for 3 years, but she kept Sheffield as her permanent residence. Perhaps we should have informed the insurance co., but thankfully had no problems.

Good luck tomorrow. If you can, get there early, its generally bedlam....I'm sure your son will have a great time.

Car crime is rife in Liverpool. It is reflected in the insurance premiums. Why can't he get insured here then live in Liverpool?

I think you'll find it's worse here than it is in Liverpool.

You should check your facts before talking out your a##e :D

They are not facts, they are statisticts. Facts and statisticts vary greatly.:D

Can you explain then why so many petrol stations in Liverpool require prior payment before filling? Not something i've seen anywhere else

They are not facts, they are statisticts. Facts and statisticts vary greatly.:D

Either way you were wrong :roll:

it's the fact that it's a different city to his home address, it makes the insurance more expensive as he's not used to driving there. Also, it's where he parks, for example it's cheaper in a gated area away from the road, and obviously more exensive if he parks in student halls car park, (it depends on where his halls/accomodation is based). I know for a fact that car crime in liverpool is no longer that much of a problem. Stealing a car is no longer profitable unless you get the keys, as usually there is imobilizers on the car. Petrol staions in Liverpool don't require prior payment, but like a lot of petrol stations in England where pay-at-the-pump is normal, they require a card for payment.