Taking personal responsibilty

Has anyone noticed how the blame culture has taken over in this country,just to give a few examples first of all you have fat or obese people who say its not their fault they are over weight its the fault of McDonalds for selling them their food,come on get real its YOU who dont eat the right diet and take the right execrcise.

Then you have the binge drinkers who say its not THEIR fault they got drunk its just they forgot not to have too much to drink or its just one of those things,no its YOUR fault for drinking too much.

Then there are the bone idle who say its not their fault they cant get a job because all the immigrants have taken them or they have some disability and the employers wont give them a chance,come on maybe its YOU who has the wrong attitude to work??

Do you see what im getting at, the people seem to look for any excuse to blame their actions on someone else and they dont like to hear the truth.

Its because we are an individualist society, If we are late for work because we missed the bus, we blame the bus service. In a collectivist society, like Japan, if they were late for work, they would say they didn't get out of bed on time.

I agree though its up to the individual to take responsibility - nobody MADE you drink that last pint, which caused you to kiss a girl/fella who isnt your partner..

People have too much freedom and not enough common sense to conduct themselves properly. So the government steps in and spoils it for everyone (smoking ban, drinking restrictions, speed limits).

I dont think you can have enough freedom but whats needed is for people to stop blaiming other reasons and look at themselves.

Some people these days make me despair so much about the state of this country I feel the only option will be putting them to sleep like an old sheepdog.

If people took their 'responsibilities' as seriously as they do their 'rights' I think we'd have a pretty decent society

A bit like we had before Thatcher became PM - when the idea that you could get something for nothing, and the idea that you had no responsibilities to this thing called 'society' because it didn't really exist, became en vogue...

StarSparkle

Some people these days make me despair so much about the state of this country I feel the only option will be putting them to sleep like an old sheepdog.

That sounds a little drastic to me:hihi:

I'm sick of people not being held responsible for their own actions - see the thread I just started about the Croatian Football Federation being fined for fans abusive chanting.

I'm sick of people not being held responsible for their own actions - see the thread I just started about the Croatian Football Federation being fined for fans abusive chanting.

Actually I'm not sure you think that. You made that post as a consequence of peer pressure and your subconscious desires to fit in with other members of society.

Actually I'm not sure you think that. You made that post as a consequence of peer pressure and your subconscious desires to fit in with other members of society.

If that was the case I wouldn't be wearing dungarees with a pewter kettle attachment.

Anyway, it's not my fault. I blame television. And G-Unit.

This is a subject I feel strongly about. My parents lived through 2 world wars, and my father's health was always bad after being in the army all through WWII - he died in 1963 at the age of 59. My mother had to cope not only with his relatively early death, but also a reduced income. She didn't blame anyone, but just got on with taking responsibility for her own life.

I believe that we should be personally responsible for our behaviour and for our own and our family's welfare (unless there are mitigating circumstances). Some of the work I've done, professionally and voluntarily, has been with people who have needed help at a point in their lives. What dismayed me were those who felt that nothing was their responsibility. Because they didn't put any effort into providing for themselves, they didn't really value what was given, ie 'free' housing, benefits rather than wages, school meals and prescriptions etc.

Whilst I'm a firm believer in giving people the help they need to become self sufficient and responsible, I feel at odds with a system that rewards those who make no effort to support themselves or the children they choose to have - with no concern as to who pays for them.

As a now pensioner, I'd get more from the state if I'd never done a day's work. So what price responsibility?

you seem to have quite an obsession with fatness roy. you have posted quite a lot of stuff about it, is you girl mate getting a little tubby or summat:thumbsup: