Parking on grass verges MEGATHREAD

Grass verges. To park or not to park ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grass verges. To park or not to park ?

• Only idiots park on grass verges.
    • Go for it, let the traffic flow !
    • Blame the bus drivers who cant negotiate the gap.

I live in Killamarsh,and on the whole it's a very nice place to live .

What bugs me more than anything is people with cars parking overnight on the grass verges,I feel there just anti-social and in-considerate to those that use the footpaths.

Not only do they turn the grass verges into a mud track they drive the mud onto the footpath .

Do these people not care about the mess they make ,and more importantly what if some elderly person slips on the muddy footpath.Come on be more considerate.

Where I live we have to park half on and half off the kerb. This is not by choice. We live on a main road and have double yellow lines outside our house. The parking bays that we have for the cars are that narrow that our car has been hit on numerous occassions and thus we have had the expense of repair. This is why we now have to park as we do to avoid our car getting hit time and time again. I actually talked to a policewoman about this and she said that she had to do the exact same where she lived.

This has nothing to do with being inconsiderate, just protecting your property...added to that our grass verges are really wide thus the car goes nowhere near the footpath.

Fair point ,but what i am saying and as i write this .There are no yellow lines , the road is wide enought to park both sides.

Also as i look through my window there is a large white van and a flat back truck parked fully across the footpath ,It wont be long befor they take over my front lawn.l

Is this not anti-social & in-considerate .............

Get your van of my lawn

in-considerate? possibly ant-social ? I dont believe so

How much room would there be if the Van parked on the road and flat backed truck parked on the other side of the road opposite it? would cars passing on both sides of the road at the same time have enought room to get by?

Now if the van had parking say on a drive or a hard stand but chose to park on the verge outside your house then that would be well out of order

scribe

i word mate council...

i have driven through killamarsh and seen cars parked on the grass verges,yes its horrible,but why doesnt the council do more,

eg,off road parking,and why doesnt the coucil create money but dropping kebs for payment and making drives for people,i see alot of council houses with open plan front gardens,the owners cant do anything with them,so put a drive in,

result.

we can drive on a clear road,no cars and the car owners have a drive simple to me but not the council,:)

Below is a reply I got from the council about this problem. I sent them an e-mail because I am so fed up with seeing cars and white vans parked on the grass verges. But as you will see from the reply I got the council dont intend to do much about it. I dont know what the answer is.

Thank you for your e-mail of 15 November 2005 regarding the above, that has

been forwarded to myself.

The City Council has, in fact, passed a by-law that prohibits parking on

grass verges. However, as I am sure you will realise, parking on verges is

a city-wide problem and before we are able to enforce the by-law, we are

legally required to erect notices on individual verges, notifying motorists

that they are committing an offence if they then proceed to park on the

verge in question. In addition, the nature of the by-law is such, that we

are not able to issue parking tickets to offenders but instead, it is

necessary for us to take them to court. The difficulty we have encountered,

is that due to the widespread nature of the problem, we do not have

sufficient resources at this time to enforce the by-law city-wide.

I regret that I cannot be more helpful at this time.

Yours sincerely, ************, Transportation Planning Officer,

Transport & Highways

ow what the answer is.

i live in killamarsh & agree to an extent,however not having such a facility close to me it isn't an issue.

i think the council should tarmac over the kerbs, and charge the adjacent house an anuual fee to park there.if they decline it then sell it to the neighbour.

it will remove sludge,damagde verges,inconsiderate parking & raise revenue. it will also reduce the need for council grass cutting.

just let the council drop kerbs to allow access on to peoples drives,and turn,some of the wider grassed areas into off road parking,surley the costs the owners have to pay the council will more than cover there cost,

and the roads would be clearer,

All new houses have to have off road parking, but yet still People Park on the road. Either to idle to reverse on to a drive or just not bothered.

But it is open to these people to pay to have their kerbs dropped/ front gardens tarmacced. Surely the issue isn't that the council hasn't done the work and charged them back for it? It's that people who park across the pavement/verge have no intention of doing anything else.

I have longed to ram every car parked on the pavement with my boys pram as I have a right to be on the pavement and they don't but never dared (and might right off pram if I did it too enthusiastically!)

Originally posted by scribe

Fair point ,but what i am saying and as i write this .There are no yellow lines , the road is wide enought to park both sides.

Also as i look through my window there is a large white van and a flat back truck parked fully across the footpath ,It wont be long befor they take over my front lawn.l

Is this not anti-social & in-considerate .............

I do sympathise with you, really I do.

If there's room for the vehicles then I can't see no reason why they can't park on the road.

Round the corner where I live the council have actually taken out the grass verges and replaced them with concrete so all the cars can park on there..

We have been told they will be taking out our front garden and making a hard standing for us to put our car and it can't come soon enough.

Where we park our car at the moment is actually down the road from where we live....not good when you've got a boot load of shopping.

where i live there are double yellow lines so i cannot park,

i have to use the grass verge,

i had applied for planning permission,(i have use of a dropped kerb)

i was refused,due to not enoght visability,so i have to rent a council garge at £4,72 a week to park my car at night,due to vandalising,

you tell me what am i to do???