Old Hall/Building Northern General Hospital Grounds

On the Norwood side of the Northern General Hospital grounds there was an old Hall/Building. It was in a very derelict condition 20 years ago just wondered if it was still standing. What was this building originally? It looked older than the workhouse era buildings dotted around the hospital

In the 70's the building I think you are talking about, was the nurses changing/locker room.

On the Norwood side of the Northern General Hospital grounds there was an old Hall/Building. It was in a very derelict condition 20 years ago just wondered if it was still standing. What was this building originally? It looked older than the workhouse era buildings dotted around the hospital

Do you mean this one?

If so, it's currently being refurbished, though I'm not sure as what.

It may be Goddard Hall that you have seen.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/5241-goddard-hall/

Well that's still there I'm pretty sure.

It better not have gone!

I was gutted to see that more of Vickers corridor was being demolished when I went there a few weeks ago.

Well that's still there I'm pretty sure.

It better not have gone!

I was gutted to see that more of Vickers corridor was being demolished when I went there a few weeks ago.

Are you joking ?

The Vickers corridor wards were very old and not fit for purpose. I spent most of my formative professional years as a Student Nurse and then a Staff Nurse pounding those wards and hold them with much fondness because of the memories I have. But even I wasn't sorry to see them demolished - they really were beyond their useful purpose.

---------- Post added 23-05-2017 at 16:44 ----------

If they are buildings I remember, they were called the 'cottages' and were used in the late 70's for male nurse residences and for locker changing rooms.

Are you joking ?

No.

10 characters

No.

10 characters

Oh dear :rolleyes:

Oh dear :rolleyes:

Beautiful buildings being demolished doesn't please me. Sorry if oh dear is the response.

Beautiful buildings being demolished doesn't please me. Sorry if oh dear is the response.

I love beautiful old buildings and have posted on SF times many about the beautiful buildings in Sheffield. But the buildings which made up the Vickers corridor where neither beautiful nor worth saving - really they weren't. I worked in them in the70's, 80's and 90's and they had no redeeming features at all.

Edited by Daven

I love beautiful old buildings and have posted on SF times many about the beautiful buildings in Sheffield. But the buildings which made up the Vickers corridor where neither beautiful nor worth saving - really they weren't. I worked in them in the70's, 80's and 90's and they had no redeeming features at all.

Well from my experience in there, granted I can't argue that they weren't exactly good for modern purpose as hospital wards!... but I thought the layout and the architecture was worth saving. Look at the clock tower, that found a use! :)

Well from my experience in there, granted I can't argue that they weren't exactly good for modern purpose as hospital wards!... but I thought the layout and the architecture was worth saving. Look at the clock tower, that found a use! :)

Ah well - the clocktower is a totally different issue. That really is a beautiful building and has been restored to it's original glory. Even the bell in clocktower chines the hour in daylight hours.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1078483

This picture was taken pre restoration so it looks even more beautiful now.

Edited by Daven