Care homes - why do people still not know this?

A casual conversation with some friends the other day revealed they had no idea people had to pay for care homes themselves. They thought they were paid for by the state. They got the shock of their lives when told they would probably have to sell their house to do it.

I'm surprised how little people realise these things. Same with home carers who are essential for many elderly people to help them with dressing, toileting etc. Pensioners have to pay for it themselves. A recent leaflet picked up at the doctors shows that home care is costing £7.50 for 15 MINUTES!

This is privatisation for you. It's a very expensive business growing old.

A casual conversation with some friends the other day revealed they had no idea people had to pay for care homes themselves. They thought they were paid for by the state. They got the shock of their lives when told they would probably have to sell their house to do it.

I'm surprised how little people realise these things. Same with home carers who are essential for many elderly people to help them with dressing, toileting etc. Pensioners have to pay for it themselves. A recent leaflet picked up at the doctors shows that home care is costing £7.50 for 15 MINUTES!

Care homes are businesses and there is a lot of money to be made from them. I have a relative in a care home and we pay over £30,000 a year for her. It is very well run home and so we don't begrudge it (although, as with all care homes, arguably, still a depressing place to visit.

Its not privatisation, its a very large number of old people who, 30 odd years ago would have shuffled off. Now we can keep people alive longer and they need to be cared for. Wheres the money coming from?

Its not privatisation, its a very large number of old people who, 30 odd years ago would have shuffled off. Now we can keep people alive longer and they need to be cared for. Wheres the money coming from?

You're right, it's not privatisation (although that might have something to do with the prices). It's that line between "health" and "care", with health being funded by our NI contributions via NHS. Care doesn't come into that bracket. However most people only need care because of health conditions, so lord knows how you square that circle.

More of us are living to a great age. But we still wear out at the same rate.......

It is coming from the assets of the person, or his or her relatives. If they have no assets, then presumably the state has a role.

when visiting care homes, I have been surprised and depressed by the number of people who do not seem to have any visitors.

I'm surprised how little people realise these things.

People generally do know this, its been the case for years. I'd say its more your circle of friends who are a little clueless. :)

Only if they have the means to do so.

Which poses the question if you work hard to earn money for your old age why do so many people have an issue with paying for their old age. If they were capable of living at home it would be coming from their own bank accounts, its not societies fault that they're living longer, greedy, or do't want to spend on their own life.

If people have family members they want to leave money to, then get them to pop round every day for free to feed them and clean them, if not pay for it.

Pensioners don't mind paying for gardeners and window cleaners when they aren't physically capable of doing them.

Theresa May's take on this is to cap fees at £80,000 per person. After that it's free. But that's still £160,000 for 2, so the family home will have to be sold anyway, with little or nothing left over.

But Cameron's stately pile will be safe, so that's alright then.

---------- Post added 09-05-2017 at 13:57 ----------

Only if they have the means to do so.

Which poses the question if you work hard to earn money for your old age why do so many people have an issue with paying for their old age. If they were capable of living at home it would be coming from their own bank accounts, its not societies fault that they're living longer, greedy, or do't want to spend on their own life.

If people have family members they want to leave money to, then get them to pop round every day for free to feed them and clean them, if not pay for it.

Pensioners don't mind paying for gardeners and window cleaners when they aren't physically capable of doing them.

I'm not sure old people have a choice do they? If they're alive, they're alive whether they want to be or not.

I'm hoping for a legal suicide pill.

Theresa May's take on this is to cap fees at £80,000 per person. After that it's free. But that's still £160,000 for 2, so the family home will have to be sold anyway, with little or nothing left over.

I'll take that at my current monthly outlay i can be fed,bathed and looked after 24/7 for 6.5 years or 8 years with the loss of things i probably can't do - petrol etc.

---------- Post added 09-05-2017 at 14:03 ----------

---------- Post added 09-05-2017 at 13:57 ----------

I'm not sure old people have a choice do they? If they're alive, they're alive whether they want to be or not.

I'm hoping for a legal suicide pill.

But that isn't societies fault - if you're alive and have assets you should be obliged to pay your way, even for things that aren't desireable to you.

That price is surprising you?

Two care assistants for 15 mins - because it will almost certainly be two needed to dress someone safely. That 15 mins of time is going to be a half hour of wages to them because of travelling time. So that £7.50 is in effect an hours wages.

That's minimum wage. You think care assistants should work for less than minimum wage?

You're right, it's not privatisation (although that might have something to do with the prices). It's that line between "health" and "care", with health being funded by our NI contributions via NHS. Care doesn't come into that bracket. However most people only need care because of health conditions, so lord knows how you square that circle.

More of us are living to a great age. But we still wear out at the same rate.......

It used to though didnt it - it was the department of health and social security.

That price is surprising you?

Two care assistants for 15 mins - because it will almost certainly be two needed to dress someone safely. That 15 mins of time is going to be a half hour of wages to them because of travelling time. So that £7.50 is in effect an hours wages.

That's minimum wage. You think care assistants should work for less than minimum wage?

That's for 1 care assistant.

I know quite a few old people who need this help and they've never had 2 care assistants.

But then they've rarely had the same care assistant 2 days running either....

Care assistants are usually paid minimum wage and don't get paid for travelling time. That's a big issue in the care industry.

Out of interest, what's the situation in your country?

Edited by Anna B