Advice on train travel please

In a position of having to rely on public transport this year for any holidays and would love to return to Norfolk. A regular train from Chesterfield to King's Lynn seems o.k. for starters - just one change at Ely but with what seems ample time to change platforms. Not having travelled by train for donkey's years just wondering what the real scenario would be. If we have tickets, are we guaranteed seats? But maybe not two seats together? Is it likely to be packed so that we have to stand? Where do we put our suitcase? All sounds a bit daft but we are getting on a bit and don't want to take on what could be a nightmare.

I use traveline to book my seats in advance to get the best deal.

http://www.traveline.info/

I find it best to travel on a Monday or on a weekday - rather than starting a journey on a Friday/ Saturday, which is usually dearer and busier. I suppose it depends on where you plan to stay, and what the booking criteria is with your hotel etc.

You should be able to pre book seats together, and get a quiet coach if that's what you require.

Only problem is if the train is very busy, someone might sit in your seats then things can get a bit awkward depending on how assertive you are (:-)

Best advice I can give to to register with traveline, and get a feel for the site, make a booking as you can always abort the purchase at the last stage, before committing yourself to the actual purchase of any tickets.

Thinking about it, Traveline also gives you the exact departure times of the trains, at the stations along the way if you have to make a change. I usually print this of so I know exactly where I am supposed to be. I also think you can take an earlier train than what you are actually booked on, but of course your seats won't be reserved - but, you cannot catch a later train than the one you are booked on.

Edited by Glennis

Do not use Traveline- they are the most expensive way of booking online.

Traveline add a booking fee for tickets that can be bought at a station or on a train company site like East Midlands Trains.

In this situation I would seriously consider going to a booking office at any station and ask for your destination Kings Lynn via Nottingham.

If you want to do it online tick the box which says "other options" and then "via" and then type in "Nottingham".

This is because the online sites often book the fastest route which may be via Leicester from Chesterfield (Doncaster or Retford if going from Sheffield).

Reservations are not available on most direct services to Ely, or to Kings Lynn.

Your train may split at Nottingham with only half continuing to Ely.

Apart from rush hour the trains will be pretty empty particularly after Nottingham so if you get into the correct vehicle at Chesterfield you will have your pick of seats from Nottingham.

Consider a railcard and buying an advance

A Two Together card (over 16) is cheaper to buy than two Senior (over 60).

If in any doubt go to the station.

Edited by Annie Bynnol
link

Thanks for advice. Much appreciated. One thing bugging me now is being on the wrong part of the train and ending up who knows where??:huh:

Thanks for advice. Much appreciated. One thing bugging me now is being on the wrong part of the train and ending up who knows where??:huh:

Some - not all of the Liverpool to Norwich trains add/loose carriages at Nottingham. The station announcer and/or platform staff and/or train staff will tell you. During the train split at Nottingham the terminating carriages are checked. There is plenty of time to move between the carriages if you get on the wrong ones.

Some - not all of the Liverpool to Norwich trains add/loose carriages at Nottingham. The station announcer and/or platform staff and/or train staff will tell you. During the train split at Nottingham the terminating carriages are checked. There is plenty of time to move between the carriages if you get on the wrong ones.

Thanks. That's reassuring!

I am in the same position at the moment having to turn to public transport and I didn't know much about booking trains and are you guaranteed a seat etc. Those I looked at where you had to make a change we skipped because we didn't think we would make it in time.

As for traveline being most expensive don't believe it, the earlier you book the cheaper it is. I have just bought tickets direct to Whitby in July at a cost of £10 each cheaper than the coach, it only had a booking fee of 75p the bigger cost was the postage for them to send them to my home which was £1-95p

Guest sibon

If you are booking trains and fairly confident with them, you could consider a ticket splitting service.

I use splitticketting.com, as you can book return journeys from them.

As an example, I'm off to Birmingham in a few weeks. The peak time return is about £90, my spilt ticket cost £40.

If you are booking trains and fairly confident with them, you could consider a ticket splitting service.

I use splitticketting.com, as you can book return journeys from them.

As an example, I'm off to Birmingham in a few weeks. The peak time return is about £90, my spilt ticket cost £40.

In this case you are giving advice that will cost them more as the "Split ticketing" aka "Raileasy" aka "Trainsplit" site offers the same as the station or TOC site and charge a booking fee.

Guest sibon
In this case you are giving advice that will cost them more as the "Split ticketing" aka "Raileasy" aka "Trainsplit" site offers the same as the station or TOC site and charge a booking fee.

Not so. If I try to book a Sheffield to Birmingham return on Cross country, they quote £90.

Admittedly, I can book a return to Derby and a Derby to Birmingham return for cheaper, but I wouldn't have known that without Split ticketting. So, from my perspective, they've saved me the best part of £40, even taking fees into account.

Whoops! Didn't mean to start any arguments but thanks for all advice. Right, taken bull by the horns and tickets booked. Realise it's a bit of a minefield re prices etc and in future I'll be better prepared. For this time, main thing was just doing it - to prove we can!! One last bother - asked for print out ticket. Received ticket confirmation with booking reference and all details of journey headed "Here's everything you need for your trip"which I've printed off - assuming that was it. BUT see it says "Collect your tickets using the payment card used for this booking from station ticket machine". So I still have to collect actual tickets at the station??

you will need good fortune on your side and avoid bank holidays.