Income, dividend, inheritance and capital gains tax

Income, dividend, inheritance and capital gains tax, they all have different allowances and rates, why not just treat them all as income?

All taxpayers will have a tax-free dividend allowance of £5,000 a year and a £11,000 allowance for income tax.

We spend money the same, whether it is income or inheritance, just tax it the same.

Income, dividend, inheritance and capital gains tax, they all have different allowances and rates, why not just treat them all as income?

All taxpayers will have a tax-free dividend allowance of £5,000 a year and a £11,000 allowance for income tax.

We spend money the same, whether it is income or inheritance, just tax it the same.

gets popcorn and waits for the plastic tories on here to tell you how wrong you are :hihi: btw I think your right :D

well first of all, a dividend has already been taxed.

I suppose that depends on whether you think the folk who have just bailed out part of Tata Steel and renamed it British Steel, saving several thousand jobs, should be entitled to some return on the £millions that they are risking.

I suppose that depends on whether you think the folk who have just bailed out part of Tata Steel and renamed it British Steel, saving several thousand jobs, should be entitled to some return on the £millions that they are risking.

id take that even further and say that these same folk could have some trust in the government especially when giving out contracts to home grown steelworks(instead of the steel dumping Chinese ones ):hihi:

id take that even further and say that these same folk could have some trust in the government especially when giving out contracts to home grown steelworks(instead of the steel dumping Chinese ones ):hihi:

I'm curious to know how much Chinese steel has been "dumped" on our shores. The evidence suggests virtually none. We export 3 times as much steel to Asia as we import from them. Virtually all our imported steel is from Europe.

But you are right. It would help if the Scottish Government hadn't awareded contracts for the new Forth Bridge to be built entirely using imported steel.

Edited by foxy lady

If the government did this, then everyone would be complaining about how much government projects cost compared to private industry.

gets popcorn and waits for the plastic tories on here to tell you how wrong you are :hihi: btw I think your right :D

So you think that the taxation system was invented by Conservative governments?

Whilst I fundamentally agree that taxation should be simplified, and inheritance tax should be included to level the playing field, to turn this into yet another point scoring party debate tells me that this will be the only post I make here.

Incidentally, whilst we all know that the UK tax system has evolved into a brain-numbingly complex one, ruled by standards in what is known as the Yellow Book, you might want to remember that Gordon Brown more than doubled its size.

The Yellow Book now runs to to hundreds of pages of such stunning complexity that accountants can't make no sense of it.

It needs ripping up and starting again, but it's a terrifying prospect that nobody has the appetite to do it at the moment. It has nothing to do with which political party you blindly support.

Nothing to see here people :P

Edited by Berberis

They are taxed differently because they are different things and the Govt wants to encourage different behaviours.

I notice you left out savings interest from that. Should you not tax that as income?

What the hell happened to my post about the tax paid on dividends? It was pure information and nothing more. Why remove it?

If you're talking about this post:

Dont forget, a Dividend is only 80% of the profit from a company (the other 20% is tax) and from this new tax year, dividends are also taxed at 7.5%.

You posted it on a different thread!!!!!! :hihi:

If the government did this, then everyone would be complaining about how much government projects cost compared to private industry.

never mind just think of all them british jobs it would create :hihi::hihi: . take a look at what the private industry has done for running sheffields services :loopy: