Should The Death Penalty Be Brought Back?

Well should it?

Nope.

We can argue back and forth about the right or wrong of it if you like.

I won't consider it for this simple reason:

The justice system is (and probably always will be) prone to occasional false positives. If you find out somebody was innocent years later and you've killed them, you can't let them out and say sorry.

Rubbish mate too many murders time for a hard line approach typical do holder answer

Rubbish mate too many murders time for a hard line approach typical do holder answer

What's a "do holder"?

I'm perfectly happy to lock them up and throw away the key.

I'd also quite like the place they're locked up in to be unpleasant. I just need cover for when the justice system gets the wrong guy.

Nope.

We can argue back and forth about the right or wrong of it if you like.

I won't consider it for this simple reason:

The justice system is (and probably always will be) prone to occasional false positives. If you find out somebody was innocent years later and you've killed them, you can't let them out and say sorry.

We agree. Not only that, there is a complete lack of understanding of mental health influences on murder. Take the case of the two girls recently, they were clearly under-developed, yet people like Crookedspire would gladly string them up.

I am pleased that option isn't available.

No it should never be bought back as already stated, you can never guarantee that every conviction is correct.

Also, there is no point in debating this as these is no legal way for the death penalty to ever return. So pointless thread.

We agree. Not only that, there is a complete lack of understanding of mental health influences on murder. Take the case of the two girls recently, they were clearly under-developed, yet people like Crookedspire would gladly string them up.

I agree that mental health is behind all manner of problems. It would be far better if people who are dangerous for this reason were identified and treated before anybody is dead.

But once somebody is dead, they and their family must have justice and appropriate punishment is a necessity. Still there's room for balance as you imply.

So killing a baby like the recent case is down to mental health well hell yeah let's release all killers after all its down to mental health what a load of ....!

No it should never be bought back as already stated, you can never guarantee that every conviction is correct.

Also, there is no point in debating this as these is no legal way for the death penalty to ever return. So pointless thread.

Interesting. What prevents the UK government from re-introducing capital punishment? If it's some international treaty, one can always withdraw.

---------- Post added 09-04-2016 at 21:08 ----------

So killing a baby like the recent case is down to mental health well hell yeah let's release all killers after all its down to mental health what a load of ....!

Now don't get carried away. This is interesting and doesn't need derailing with hyperbole. Nobody has suggested that crime should not be punished.

Let's get the record straight here lady , if beyond all doubt they guilty they should hang full stop sorry if that upsets your higher morality !

Let's get the record straight here lady , if beyond all doubt they guilty they should hang full stop sorry if that upsets your higher morality !

So you propose to have 2 types of guilty at trial?

1. The usual beyond reasonable doubt -> prison.

2. A new beyond all doubt class of conviction -> hanging.

Do you really think that would work as a thing?

Theirs too many murders not just children but adults the softie softie treatment not working time to clamp down . Look at Rosemary West and Fred West case look how many they killed but were allowed to live out their lives in prison.