Angela Wrightson murder: Girls given life terms.

From BBC news

Two 15-year-old girls have been given life sentences with minimum terms of 15 years for the torture and murder of a vulnerable woman.

Angela Wrightson, 39, was found semi-naked in her living room in Hartlepool with more than 100 injuries - including 80 to her face - in December 2014.

The girls, then aged 13 and 14 at the time, used weapons including a shovel, a TV and computer printer.

---

So, these two thugs will be out of prison in 15 years. I’ve just watched a guy on news at ten saying that none of the other EU countries would have sentenced children to such a sentence. My question for him would have been: Why the selective comparison. Yes we are in Europe, why not compare the sentence to all world countries?

It would have been more beneficial to the thugs to have received a damn good thrashing first, then been given 5 years not 15, and saved the tax paying public a load of money. That, would have been a soft sentence to some countries.

It would have been more beneficial to the thugs to have received a damn good thrashing first.

Did you even see the BBC same news report as the rest of us?

That's exactly what their parents were doing.

The kids were known to Police and social services due to their "chaotic" upbringings.

Do you have any better ideas?

Should we deport the kids and their parents instead?

There are no winners in this. Those two girls were wrong, very wrong. But they were never going to have a hope with awful parents and useless social services.

So very sad.

There are no winners in this. Those two girls were wrong, very wrong. But they were never going to have a hope with awful parents and useless social services.

So very sad.

History just repeating itself there with social services, Baby P and all the others, RMBC SS :rolleyes:

Yes, they were very wrong. Children can be extremely cruel. Can`t help thinking about Venables and the killing of toddler James Bulger. That child would have been about 23 years old now. He may even have had a family of his own. Like you say Ron, very sad.

It makes me wonder about the vile crimes Hindley and Brady got up to in their youth that were never discovered. It seems odd that they only began the murders in their adult life. Didn`t one of them used to torture animals when they were growing up?

It is my understanding that both girls were 'in care' at the time of the horrific crime.

I've read today that girl 'A' has severe mental health issues and has tried to take her own life 4 times during the trial, and once on court premises.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/07/angela-wrightson-girls-tortured-alcoholic-hartlepool-life-sentences

Some young people never have much of a chance in life. I wonder in cases such as this, if in some circumstances, the parents should also face trial?

It is my understanding that both girls were 'in care' at the time of the horrific crime.

I've read today that girl 'A' has severe mental health issues and has tried to take her own life 4 times during the trial, and once on court premises.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/07/angela-wrightson-girls-tortured-alcoholic-hartlepool-life-sentences

Some young people never have much of a chance in life. I wonder in cases such as this, if in some circumstances, the parents should also face trial?

If you own a dog and it bites someone you face the courts. It should be the same with your kids, they break the law the parents also have to answer for it.

So, these two thugs will be out of prison in 15 years.

It would have been more beneficial to the thugs to have received a damn good thrashing first, then been given 5 years not 15, and saved the tax paying public a load of money.

Their minimum sentences are 15 years. That doesn't mean they'll be out in 15 years.

And after complaining they'll be out in 15 years your answer is to put them back out on the streets in 5 years. Brilliant.

---------- Post added 08-04-2016 at 08:43 ----------

....James Bulger. That child would have been about 23 years old now.

He would have been 26 now.

We should think ourselves lucky - anywhere else in the EU they probably wouldn't have even been charged and tried.

They would have been "helped" as a victim of society. What that means i've no idea as it could mean incarceration in some form of facility or other.

If you own a dog and it bites someone you face the courts. It should be the same with your kids, they break the law the parents also have to answer for it.

You're missing the point that they were in care. Dogs by the way aren't answerable to the justice system. They don't get sentenced to however long in a category B kennel, for example. Owners would have to be prosecuted instead. Not difficult to understand.

If you want to see what sort of life these girls were destined for had they not been going to prison, then read about the sad futile existence of the woman they killed.

You're missing the point that they were in care. Dogs by the way aren't answerable to the justice system. They don't get sentenced to however long in a category B kennel, for example. Owners would have to be prosecuted instead. .

No I get the point but my comparison was a poor one i have to admit.

---------- Post added 08-04-2016 at 08:56 ----------

Not difficult to understand.

Dont fall off that high horse you are on mate :)

So very sad.

Sums it up for me. Creating a child is about the biggest responsibility that humans have, yet some treat their own children dreadfully. Social services get slated but they're damned whatever they do.

If those two girls had been removed from their 'parents' at birth, and brought up in decent, loving homes like the majority of parents try to provide, who knows how they'd have grown up.