How to recover a cash loan?

In short, I am owed several thousand pounds of a cash loan to an acquaintance. I don't want to go into the nitty-gritty of it. The original (verbal) agreement was that it would be paid back in instalments. However, now that the repayments are becoming infrequent I feel that my best course of action would be to obtain a full repayment.

Although the agreement was verbal (bad idea I know, but I did think the person could be trusted) I have evidence of the loan from my bank statement which clearly indicates the name of the person and the amount of money.

Can anyone advise me how to go about doing this please? Can I go through a solicitor? Do I need to?

I know that my signature below is quite apt by the way!

Edited by SiSiSi

If you have the bank statement showing the payment, and you can evidence payment coming back (are these bank transfers to repay or is it just notes?) then you can probably show that there is a loan and you may be able to persuade a judge.

Small claims court if it's under £5000 I think (unless Scotland then different rules) but just remember you can't get blood out of a stone, and the best way to make someone stony hearted will be to sue them.

Thanks. I assume a solicitor could help then?

Judge rinder would help

I'd rather not thanks.

You're pretty stuffed to be honest. Proof of them receiving the money means nothing, they could just say it was a gift. verbal agreements mean nothing. Judge Rinder might not be that bad an idea.

I was going to suggest Rinder.

Although if there is some evidence of him having repaid some installments you may get heard.

I was going to suggest Rinder.

Although if there is some evidence of him having repaid some installments you may get heard.

Definitely evidence of instalments being repaid.

In short, I am owed several thousand pounds of a cash loan to an acquaintance. I don't want to go into the nitty-gritty of it. The original (verbal) agreement was that it would be paid back in instalments. However, now that the repayments are becoming infrequent I feel that my best course of action would be to obtain a full repayment.

Although the agreement was verbal (bad idea I know, but I did think the person could be trusted) I have evidence of the loan from my bank statement which clearly indicates the name of the person and the amount of money.

Can anyone advise me how to go about doing this please? Can I go through a solicitor? Do I need to?

I know that my signature below is quite apt by the way!

never and borrower or a lender be!!! i think thats the phrase, but it should say especially to friends or family? i did the same many years ago and lent money to a friend thought theres no way they would let me down!! how wrong i was , took me years to get a relativity small amount back and with no interest, so never again:mad: lesson learnt:|

Definitely evidence of instalments being repaid.

You need proof of the original loan amount. Instalments only prove that someone is paying you money. They could easily turn round and say they're giving you cash out of the goodness of their heart.:o

You need proof of the original loan amount. Instalments only prove that someone is paying you money. They could easily turn round and say they're giving you cash out of the goodness of their heart.:o

Got that on bank statements.

Taking any form of legal action has got to be the last resort.But if the person/s are still paying but inconsistently,then why have you not spoken to them about it?