Your thoughts on donations to charities

Like many of you, I guess, I have favourite charities that I have always been happy to help. But I'm finding it harder and harder to be convinced my donations are actually helping those in need. We're made aware of the large salaries paid to CEO's and other staff employed by charities but I've tried to reason that all "businesses" need to be run by able people.

What is getting at me though is a prime example of a request I've just received from the British Red Cross. The invite is to buy raffle tickets and to induce me to do so they have included 2 Easter Cards, a pen, a book-mark, 2 coasters and 30 pre-printed labels with my name and address to save me writing on the raffle ticket stubs.

I know all charities have to fight for our donations but am I alone in thinking this is over-kill? I'm told that a £5 donation could train two volunteers in Mongolia in first-aid - but haven't they already spent my £5 on producing these unnecessary "freebies"?

I hate thinking like this because I'm not an uncaring person.

Red Cross are terrible. I quite liked the Snowman coasters and blank greetings cards they sent out last December so I gave them a one off £20 donation. I'd feel bad accepting and using them otherwise.

I made it clear it was a one-off and politely asked them not to send any more material, but sadly I was hounded on a weekly basis with phone calls and begging letters.

I've just had the Easter cards, notebook and pen delivered this week also.

I give anonymously whenever I can. I used to do the DD's but got fed up witht eh constant begging. If you change a few times you end up being hassled constantly it feels. Its bad enough that where I live we get the door knockers trying to get you to sign up to charity DD's. I, out of principle, will not give to a charity that employs professional beggars.

I give to a charity that is very close to me and I know exactly how the money is being used.

As for charities that 'have to' pay directors or Co-ordinators I won't give them the time of day.

I also refuse to give money to charities that employ 'chuggers' or door to door sales people or that use donations to fund any form of animal testing.

Having said that I think giving is a personal thing and everyone should make their own mind up who, if anyone they give to without prejudice.

I am interested in this one as I regularly raise money for Prostate Cancer UK after a friend died of the disease a couple of years ago. I prefer to donate to one off events where people are doing something for a cause rather than a Direct Debit situation.

I'm riding from Liverpool to Amsterdam in June to try to make it £6000 over three years. If you'd be interested in donating please email me and I'll send you a link.

I'm also trying to get businesses to add their logos to a charity cycling jersey I'll be buying in exchange for a donation if that would interest you?

Any charity that employ's a stranger to approach me in the street, pretending to be my 'mate' in order to strike up a forced rapport, has lost my support immediately. I have no qualms in informing the stranger that the CEO of the organisation that employs them is on a high salary and that all I am saying no to is big business. Big business that spends £millions on lobbying and paying high salaries to corporate fundraisers. If I want to donate I will approach them, I will not be bullied by big business into giving to charity.

Why don't we invest in factory in those countries.we can pay them $1 an hour. If they was really that desperate they would do it for a lot less.This way they wouldn't strave to death or dirty water. we get cheap goods and everyone is a winner

We pay a little every week to a Hospice, and have done so for many years, that's enough for us.

You pay your money and take a chance where it ends up.

Angel1.

I quite like the dog food donation bins at supermarkets, you don't feel like your money has disappeared into a big black hole, it's gone to exactly what you intended.

I quite like the dog food donation bins at supermarkets, you don't feel like your money has disappeared into a big black hole, it's gone to exactly what you intended.

That's a good point you've made there. At least you know that the dog food won't go towards senior managers!

I regularly use to volunteer my time, rather than give money. However since I started working full time I can no longer do this - so I might follow your example & donate food rather than money.

Why don't we invest in factory in those countries.we can pay them $1 an hour. If they was really that desperate they would do it for a lot less.This way they wouldn't strave to death or dirty water. we get cheap goods and everyone is a winner

Thought long and hard about that response have you? :huh:

There should be a 'three star rating' for charities over a certain size showing 1. how much they spend on fundraising, 2. how much is fundraised and 3. how much of that gets to achieve the Charitiy's objectives. It isn't just the big charities either.

I came across a charity that sounds very like an International Aid Charity but its trustees are based in Rotherham. One year the accounts showed that the worker employed his partner as admin support and the uncle to do the accounts. Of the 250k raised, 150k went on costs. My requests for information went unanswered.