What are the repercussions of walking out without notice?

This post must rank as one of the bizzare ones ...frequently asked in the forum...try this one ...what would happen to me if I drank a glass of bleach....or would I choke to death if I vomited on the big dipper....or Do I really need to go to McDonalds'................

Feel my rod, young man.

Hi E....well you said you wanted something profound and humourous....you got both....

That will be just a pound ..................

What, for my entire notice period? Teehee. Very naughty.

That's another point actually... what happens if you book all your remaining holiday for the next month, then hand in your notice at the end of the current month?

I think it's standard practice that any remaining, unused holidays are taken into account on a pro-rata basis when looking at the end of an employment contact. For example, if you have 20 days holiday a year, haven't taken any holiday and hand your notice in exactly half way through the year, they will then calculate your notice period to include 10 days in your favour (if that makes sense).

I would have thought (without any actual knowledge) that an employer could only sack someone 'on the spot' if the employee had done something really serious to warrant it, eg putting another employee's life in danger due to negligence or playing silly beggars.

It'll depend on the contract. If it has a stipulated notice period and the company follow the procedure to terminate the employment you can be effectively sacked on the spot - but what actually happens is they may send you home and you will no longer serve a useful purpose in the company, but they'll pay you until the notice period is complete.

Content Removed

Edited by Nemex