Theresa May wants to bring back fox-hunting

Still not making any sense. 80% of the public don't want it. There is no justification for having a vote.

The point I'm making about Brexit is you lot are arguing that the referendum was final and can't be repeated. Yet for your sacred cows like the death penalty and fox hunting you don't regard previous votes as final. Making that point is not immaturity, it's made to highlight crass double standards.

What do you mean by you lot? I voted to remain in the EU, but unlike you accepted the result and consider a Tory Government the best choice to negotiate Brexit, without any interference from other political parties. I sit on the fence regarding fox hunting and accept there are good arguments from both sides. I don't insult those who are in favour of fox hunting, because that is not in my nature and also I have never experienced life in a fox hunting community.

There is nothing wrong in a Tory leader, seeking re-election, promising a free vote about fox hunting. The original legislation which banned fox hunting, seems to be badly thought out anyway. Your gripe seems to be that Theresa May is a clever politician and a strong leader, who isn't going to make any mistakes to prevent an increase in the Tory majority after the election.

Still not making any sense. 80% of the public don't want it. There is no justification for having a vote.

The point I'm making about Brexit is you lot are arguing that the referendum was final and can't be repeated. Yet for your sacred cows like the death penalty and fox hunting you don't regard previous votes as final. Making that point is not immaturity, it's made to highlight crass double standards.

I can see where you're coming from I think. Public opinion/outrage forced the need to vote. The result led to the ban. Public opinion is still very much against fox hunting so it does seem ludicrous to offer the vote once more.

Having said that, it's a free vote and if there is any justice the result will be mirrored and then it should be laid to rest.

There's no place for cruelty, there shouldn't be a sliding rule simply because a different class of people want to inflict it.

---------- Post added 14-05-2017 at 11:08 ----------

What do you mean by you lot? I voted to remain in the EU, but unlike you accepted the result and consider a Tory Government the best choice to negotiate Brexit, without any interference from other political parties. I sit on the fence regarding fox hunting and accept there are good arguments from both sides. I don't insult those who are in favour of fox hunting, because that is not in my nature and also I have never experienced life in a fox hunting community.

There is nothing wrong in a Tory leader, seeking re-election, promising a free vote about fox hunting. The original legislation which banned fox hunting, seems to be badly thought out anyway. Your gripe seems to be that Theresa May is a clever politician and a strong leader, who isn't going to make any mistakes to prevent an increase in the Tory majority after the election.

That I agree with, but it's in line with the equally knee jerk Dangerous Dogs Act.

Because it will put the matter to bed. If as expected the Tories have a big majority after the election and still not enough MPs want to reintroduce fox hunting, then no future Tory leader will need to keep a promise of having a future vote about fox hunting to pacify rural Tory constituencies.

A decisive vote puts things to rest? Really?. If that was the case why has it reared its ugly head again? Also, did you hear of that once in a generation vote they had a couple of years ago in Scotland? Some loon wants to run THAT one again!! There are also people whinging about the Brexit vote. So it seems thats there is no such thing as a decisive vote

A decisive vote puts things to rest? Really?. If that was the case why has it reared its ugly head again? Also, did you hear of that once in a generation vote they had a couple of years ago in Scotland? Some loon wants to run THAT one again!! There are also people whinging about the Brexit vote. So it seems thats there is no such thing as a decisive vote

Many people believe the ban on fox hunting was politically motivated, rather than to protect foxes. Nicola Sturgeon has stated the reason the SNP in 2015 never supported reintroducing fox hunting, was to get revenge against David Cameron. I believe a lack of support from a parliament with a big Tory majority for reintroducing fox hunting, will put an end to this issue.

It's part of an MP's duty to propose new laws, propose changes to existing laws and abolish what they believe to be bad laws. Referendums are a once in a generation event and shouldn't be compared to MPs re-voting on matters, after there has been a significant change in the numbers of MPs representing the two main parties in parliament.

Many people believe the ban on fox hunting was politically motivated, rather than to protect foxes. Nicola Sturgeon has stated the reason the SNP in 2015 never supported reintroducing fox hunting, was to get revenge against David Cameron. I believe a lack of support from a parliament with a big Tory majority for reintroducing fox hunting, will put an end to this issue.

It's part of an MP's duty to propose new laws, propose changes to existing laws and abolish what they believe to be bad laws. Referendums are a once in a generation event and shouldn't be compared to MPs re-voting on matters, after there has been a significant change in the numbers of MPs representing the two main parties in parliament.

Jeez, you are really squirming now.

I think the only thing we agree on is including the free vote in the Tory manifesto, for very different reasons though.

You can't make that moral argument when animals are bred to slaughter on an industrial scale.

Then we have the barbaric custom of shechita and halal slaughter. I would take my chance of been chased by hounds as there is a chance of escape. Once in the abattoir you are going to get your throat cut while held upside down in many cases. That is more disgusting than any fox hunt, believe me I have seen both.

Angel1

According to sturgeon referendum are not once in a generation, unless of course in scotland a generation is 2 years :) Also remoaners are talking of generations of just 1 year :) So, bearing in mind that everyone, including may, are making things up as they go along i think its perfectly fine to compare them

According to sturgeon referendum are not once in a generation, unless of course in scotland a generation is 2 years :) Also remoaners are talking of generations of just 1 year :) So, bearing in mind that everyone, including may, are making things up as they go along i think its perfectly fine to compare them

That's because they aren't once in a generation. We've had three in 6 years. There is no rule that says we can't have them every week. And no rule that says once we have one on a particular subject we can't have another.

That's because they aren't once in a generation. We've had three in 6 years. There is no rule that says we can't have them every week. And no rule that says once we have one on a particular subject we can't have another.

We've not had three referendums on the same subject in six years. There was a gap of over forty years, since the subject of Europe was on a referendum ballot. It is thirteen years since fox hunting was made illegal under the rule of a different ruling political party. I doubt very much any of the two main political parties will have any plans to have referendums in their manifestos for a long time.

---------- Post added 15-05-2017 at 09:20 ----------

Jeez, you are really squirming now.

I think the only thing we agree on is including the free vote in the Tory manifesto, for very different reasons though.

We might agree, that if a free vote actually takes place, then it will be a defeat for those wishing to see fox hunting made legal again. There are not enough rural constituencies, to win a vote for pro fox hunters.

You should be a good citizen and report them then.

Why ?...........

You should be a good citizen and report them then.

Why ?...........

Because it is illegal.