1000 years of European border changes

You only just became aware of this?

Spain was part of the Roman empire, it was then invaded by Muslims in the 8th Century.

They were defeated in the 14th Century, and then expelled around the 17th.

It seems like England couldn't sit still tho, almost every year the boarders were being redrawn and somewhere was being invaded.

If you like that, check this out

It's better than the video because you can look whenever and wherever you like through all of known human history and it shows major events.

Also, that's not even the full extent of the roman empire in that video! No-where near. Check out the map I showed you around 100AD.

Edited by flamingjimmy

You only just became aware of this?

I know little bits of histories here and there, but it is indeed interesting to see it all linked together like this and see those boundaries move so much.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss isn't it ? :hihi:

I only like to consider myself to be part of the British Commonwealth and after that, my brain cannot handle it all.

No wonder the Scots want to be independent.

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 19:10 ----------

If you like that, check this out

It's better than the video because you can look whenever and wherever you like through all of known human history and it shows major events.

Also, that's not even the full extent of the roman empire in that video! No-where near. Check out the map I showed you around 100AD.

Thanks for that link. The info is also interesting too. I worked out that we are in a quite peace time period in history.

Republic of China - 1910

Iran-Iraq war - 1980

gulf war - 1990

Bosnian war - 1992

Kosovo war - 1996

war of afghanistan - 2000

iraq war - 2003

Apart from the China's internal conflicts, other than that, I think there is not that much conflict in the overall political arena.

Spain was part of the Roman empire, it was then invaded by Muslims in the 8th Century.

They were defeated in the 14th Century, and then expelled around the 17th.

It seems like England couldn't sit still tho, almost every year the boarders were being redrawn and somewhere was being invaded.

England couldn't sit still ?

I think you might find the Spanish, French, Dutch and Portuguese couldn't sit still either, the world developed that way regardless of what is now viewed as right and wrong.

Man has always looked to claim or control territory and the resources of such, he has always been tribal, do you think that will ever change ?

http://loiter.co/v/watch-as-1000years-of-european-boarders-change/

Interesting ! Spain used to be a muslim country. England used to be so much smaller and Scotland and Wales are so independent. Wales are connected to Northern Spain. Roman empire used to be so big.

European history is extremely interesting, mainly because it is so well documented, so we know a lot more about it than most people realise.

I am intrigued by the years/centuries after the collapse of the Roman empire, the institution of the Karolingian Empire and the resulting Holy Roman Empire, throw in the Normans taking control in England, Southern Italy and several other bits and pieces, the Normans being descendants of the Vikings, who also were at the foundation of the Rus culture and had immense influence in the British Isles, all lands along the Baltic and North Sea and of course the Scandinavian countries...

Then there was the people migration with entire tribes consisting of millions of people being shoved into the already complex European cultural system because of the Mongolian horse-tribes, the rise of Islam...

history is incredibly fascinating.