How much mileage should I pay

You need to check re business miles when those business miles are commuting to a place of work. I know there are rules and guidelines that constitute commuting vs home workers travelling to a head office.

Edited: Details needed are here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/321897/490.pdf

Edited by MobileB

My company pays 43pence per mile,but if other colleagues travel with me then I get an extra 5pence per mile per passenger.

If you are paid less than the agreed HMRC rate, you can claim the difference back through your tax return (because HMRC accept that £0.45/mile and £0.25/mile are the costs associated with running your own vehicle), however if you get paid over the rate, you would need to declare it as taxable income irrespective of passengers (I think?).

Couldn't you hire a car for them and supply the fuel? Don't know what the cost of this would be..3 days car hire/week?

45p is correct, lower rates can be offered but if a company offered me less than 40p I would be instantly looking for a new job.

This should be on the whole journey minus the distance of the normal commute. Ie My wife works 1 mile away and walks to work but when she has to go to other locations she claims the total mileage minus 2 miles (her commute both ways).

Same with our company, 45p per mile, but you take off the distance from home to work x2.

Same with our company, 45p per mile, but you take off the distance from home to work x2.

Remember this is the HMRC policy, not the employer (i.e. it's not about the employer being 'tight'). If you included the mileage to and from home, you technically should be taxed (as a benefit in kind) which would be a bureaucratic nightmare for an employer.

I'm hoping to get some serious advice about a new employee who will have to travel quite far every day for training in her own car.

It will be 3 days a week for 4 weeks and they will be doing about 120 mile round trip.

The HMRC recommends £0.45 a mile, but that will mean we will be paying £162.00 per week - that is more than I pay for fuel in a month! I think that is a bit over the top.

My OH says his company pays £0.10 per mile.

I've never paid or claimed it before, so I was wondering what the normal amount would be to pay? Any advice would be great. thanks

0.45p is common in large companies and what I pay my own expenses at.

It doesn't just cover the cost of fuel, it covers the depreciation of the mileage and the other costs of running a vehicle, tyres, servicing, etc...