Dyslexia in the workplace

A very good friend of mine owns a company that helps children and adults with dyslexia and other word and number related problems. I have seen improvement statistics and they are very impressive!

They are the White Rose Dyslexia Centre on Ecclesall Road. Give Vicky or Jess a call 0114 2096264 and they will be able to help you overcome this issue

Contact Dyslexia Action - 281 5905 - in Broomhall, Sheffield S10.

http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk

Dyslexics can usually read better from blue paper.

It is possible to buy a kind of colour ruler which you hold over your text to help you read. Try different colours to see which you find the easiest.

Good luck.

Dyslexics can usually read better from blue paper.

And I read better from red and white striped paper with the backpage of Sun Sport on the reverse.

Seriously, what are the implications for employers? Do they have to make these allowances? We are all different and different adjustments make things easier for us. But surely you cannot expect an employer to make every single concession.

I think you need to talk to them about what you require like if a specific colour would help or if a different font style would help because there might be something simple that they can do to help you

Big companies are very unsympathetic to personal problems as they can easily get hold of another worker. If you are a small company and a key worker then you could ask for the forms to be changed slightly.

Any form can be altered to suit its users including using a laser colour printer for specifically highlighting areas that are required. It depends on costs if the mistakes would be more expensive than a colour laser printer upgrade and a quick page change.

Dyslexia and colour blindness often make people feel they shouldn't apply for jobs as they dont want the usual story of not acceptable for this role. It should be compulsory for employers to add to job adverts that dyslexic and colour blind people can or cannot apply.

Employers cannot say dyslexic/colourblind people can or cannot apply for a job.

Its called discrimination.

Dealing with discrimination can make or break one.

Don't feel degraded if you have to accept help, and FIGHT for what you feel you are entitled to, never losing your dignity.

Remember, decorum in all things.

Good luck.

Employers cannot say dyslexic/colourblind people can or cannot apply for a job.

Its called discrimination.

Colour blindness does bar people from doing certain jobs, actually, because of the danger element. For example they cannot be electricans, because of being unable, potentially, to distinguish between the colours of the wires.

I believe there are other professions that are bared to those who are colour blind, too. (I stand to be corrected but I seem to remember that at least some sectors of the armed forces are barred, and I seem to remember train driving was another)

---------- Post added 25-12-2014 at 14:10 ----------

Just googled it, and Pilots canot be colour blind, nor can electricians, and railway workers. And in some countries, the colour blind are also not permittedto hold a driving licence.

Colour blindness does bar people from doing certain jobs, actually, because of the danger element. For example they cannot be electricans, because of being unable, potentially, to distinguish between the colours of the wires.

I believe there are other professions that are bared to those who are colour blind, too. (I stand to be corrected but I seem to remember that at least some sectors of the armed forces are barred, and I seem to remember train driving was another)

---------- Post added 25-12-2014 at 14:10 ----------

Just googled it, and Pilots canot be colour blind, nor can electricians, and railway workers. And in some countries, the colour blind are also not permittedto hold a driving licence.

It can bar you from doing some laboratory jobs too, it depends what the job entails. Some manual titrations or reactions are done by observing colour changes. One of my colleagues was red green colour blind so could only do certain jobs in the lab.