Printer TWAIN and WIA standards

What are these standards about? I have tried to use ABBYY Finereader but ABBYY tells me that it only works if the printer conforms to TWAIN or WIA. And sure enough it doesn't seem to work with my HP C5200 printer. I've also got a defunct printer (as far as printing goes, nothing else) an Epson SX115 and it worked with that and that's pretty old.

TWAIN is the protocol for Scanners, WIA is the protocol for Cameras. What version of Windows are you running again? Also if you have updated Windows, get the latest drivers for your HP C5200 from here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-photosmart-c5200-all-in-one-printer-series/3204462

This will show Windows 10 32-bit but you can change that to the version of Windows you are using. ;)

Also Abbyy Fine Reader may only show WIA at first run - there should be a drop-down arrow at the side of the window to select TWAIN interface - if not showing then check the HP site I have already pointed you to.

Very useful swarfendor. I'm using 7. I'll use the link and get the latest drivers for the C5200 bearing in mind the other factors you mention.