In praise of Kieron Westwood

Guest sibon

Sort of a vague attempt to generate some football related discussion.

Westwood is probably the best keeper that I've seen at Hillsborough. He commands his area superbly, organises the back four with a rod of iron and what a shot stopper. He's said today that he has no desire to leave Wednesday.

I hope we can keep him.People bang on about us needing a twenty goal a season striker, Westwood is a minus twenty goal a season keeper.

The best signing that the Owls have made for years.

I read the same article Sibs - the only thing of concern was that it quoted the Star! Lol.

Hope to the heavens he stays with us and that Grey plays him on Sunday :)

Says a lot about the bloke when he turned down big money deals to warm the bench with other prem clubs cos he wants to play,that's why I don't think we will be losing him.

]Sort of a vague attempt to generate some football related discussion.[/u]

Westwood is probably the best keeper that I've seen at Hillsborough. He commands his area superbly, organises the back four with a rod of iron and what a shot stopper. He's said today that he has no desire to leave Wednesday.

I hope we can keep him.People bang on about us needing a twenty goal a season striker, Westwood is a minus twenty goal a season keeper.

The best signing that the Owls have made for years.

Good post Sibs, shame about the dig at the beginning.

If you care to read some of my previous posts on this matter on this section you will find only praise for your keeper by the way of extolling his virtues in the way you have done in this thread.

Do you think he will attract attention in the forthcoming transfer window and, dare I ask, do you think the bait will be too much for the club to refuse if offers reportedly between £1 to 3 million are put on the table?.

Guest sibon
Good post Sibs, shame about the dig at the beginning.

If you care to read some of my previous posts on this matter on this section you will find only praise for your keeper by the way of extolling his virtues in the way you have done in this thread.

Do you think he will attract attention in the forthcoming transfer window and, dare I ask, do you think the bait will be too much for the club to refuse if offers reportedly between £1 to 3 million are put on the table?.

It isn't a dig rossy, just a statement of my intentions.

I think Westwood will attract attention. I can't see us letting him go for less than £3M. He's one of the main reasons for our comfortable league position. With that in mind, he must be worth many millions to Milan in terms of keeping the club in the championship.

I don't think that he will leave in this window, unless someone offers silly money. Equally, I can't see us keeping him beyond the summer, someone is bound to come in for him in the close season. That would give us time to find a replacement and invest some of his fee in other areas.

I'm in agreement with nearly all you say on the matter but I reckon a £3m bid would be far too attractive to Milan to knock back, I reckon that he is far far deeper in than he ever envisaged he would be and I would imagine that Wednesday will definitely be the last throw of his dice.

Don't forget you have a decent stand in on the books that can still hold his own.

Whilst it is commendable, we all know football is a business, and business is business and a big money offer might change things. Everyone has a price.

I do agree though, what's the point in moving to a PL side, just to sit on the bench... would do him harm if he did.

There you go sibs! Are you happy now :hihi: I don't want to change the subject as it's not my intention to hijack the thread... but go through your posts mate and you'll see some "banter" coming from you too.

Anyway... we carry on with the thread.

In Sibons defence he did state in an earlier thread that he intended to attempt to raise the quality of posting on here by not rising to the bait.

A sentiment that I find myself in agreement with.

In Sibons defence he did state in an earlier thread that he intended to attempt to raise the quality of posting on here by not rising to the bait.

A sentiment that I find myself in agreement with.

Yes I know, and there won't be any banter coming from me. But felt it was appropriate to mention once before moving on. And I won't be mentioning it again my friend as I don't want to hijack the thread.

Westwood should stay BTW.

It's nice that he wants to stay (and no reason to think he's not genuine in saying that), but then I guess most players will say they want to stay (as the fans like to think their players are happy to be there). Whilever he's first choice at S6 then of course he will be happy to stay - and he's proven to be a very impressive (if not vital) signing for the owls - and certainly added to the steely defence. To sell him without a good replacement would be pretty foolish.

I think it mentioned in The Star that Liverpool were looking for a new keeper, and it is not unrealistic to think they could consider Westwood as a possible replacement for the fragile Mignolet. I doubt that the owls would even consider any offer under £2m, but if it were to reach £3m (which is chickenfeed for the reds), that would test the owner.

He is an awesome goalie, but if the right money comes in for him...

Having said that, he has been a bench player before in the PL and I am sure he hated every second of it. I'd rather let Kirkland go (who is on big wages) and keep Westwood, possibly even break open his contract and give him some of Kirkland's money, he is definitely worth it.

A very good goalkeeper, another one to join the long list of keepers we have had, lets hope we can hang on to him. If we are going to challenge for a play-off place he,s the type of player we need around.