Networking my house

Im trying to network my house,

Im using cat6 The cables have gone in.

the issues im having is making the Ethernet cables, I have the tools to and the RJ45 adapters.

1. they are fidgety to get right and when testing in the tester only a 2 lights flash.

what am i doing wrong ?

Probably not crimping them correctly, it's quite a faf.

Personally I've used powerline adaptors, simply plug in and you're done.

Get decent speeds over them, no issues with the internet or anything.

As above, you're probably not crimping them correctly, it can be a bit tricky when you first do it, just follow a youtube guide -

- and just practice several times, it gets easier once you get the hang of it.

Powerline adapters could be an option but can be hit and miss depending on your house (I had some that worked terrible in one house but the same ones worked fine in another).

Stick at it and you'll get there and then you can enjoy the benefits of having wired connectivity around the house.

Presumably you are having difficulty in making-off the RJ45 shells.

This is what I do

first make a dummy RJ45 shell :

Take a RJ45 shell

clamp it lightly in a vice and file off the end and expose the eight holes to allow the wires to come through.

The gold plated contacts will probably fall out but that doesn't matter.

Strip the cable back about 30mm, un-twist the pairs and arrange them in the correct order and straight.

Feed the cable into the dummy shell, ensuring the outer sheath is correctly inserted.

Trim off the ends of the wires using side-cutters ensuring they are cut flush with the end of the shell.

Carefully remove the cable from the dummy shell and insert it into a standard shell. Ensure the wires are

fully inserted (use a magnifying lense if necessary), and crimp.

The following link points to an image showing the wires coming out of the end of a shell.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=make+a+rj45+dummy+shell+for+cables&client=firefox-b&biw=1578&bih=817&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHjJypzaHSAhUlBMAKHZGBC1MQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=7UciC7tPBUtwSM:

Presumably you are having difficulty in making-off the RJ45 shells.

This is what I do

first make a dummy RJ45 shell :

Take a RJ45 shell

clamp it lightly in a vice and file off the end and expose the eight holes to allow the wires to come through.

The gold plated contacts will probably fall out but that doesn't matter.

Strip the cable back about 30mm, un-twist the pairs and arrange them in the correct order and straight.

Feed the cable into the dummy shell, ensuring the outer sheath is correctly inserted.

Trim off the ends of the wires using side-cutters ensuring they are cut flush with the end of the shell.

Carefully remove the cable from the dummy shell and insert it into a standard shell. Ensure the wires are

fully inserted (use a magnifying lense if necessary), and crimp.

The following link points to an image showing the wires coming out of the end of a shell.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=make+a+rj45+dummy+shell+for+cables&client=firefox-b&biw=1578&bih=817&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHjJypzaHSAhUlBMAKHZGBC1MQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=7UciC7tPBUtwSM:

What's the point in that?

Most crimp tools have a cutter that cuts them to the standard and (correct) length

and the nature of the connector you don't need to bare the wires at all as when you crimp the metal clamps cut into the wire to make contact - that's kinda the point in it.... (I know you didn't say to bare the wires, but I know some people who do, so i just made a point of saying it :) )

The point is the correct length of sheath is removed and the wires are in the correct order.

At one time I used to get kids in my workshop for work experience, so one of the tasks was to

make network cables, anyway the success rate was very small, so using a dummy shell improved

the the success rate by over 90%.

I offer it up as a suggestion, It's a system that works for me, if you don't like don't use it.

Hi Red

Drop me a PM if you want, I could come round and get you started. I used to be a cable monkey for a retail contractor pulling in and terminating hundreds of cables in major superstores.

It's a bit of an art form really, once you've found yourself a prefered set of tools and you've learnt their shortfalls etc. it's easy. The cheap glass ends are always an issue too.

Cheers

William

Why crimp - why not buy ready made patch leads?

Or are you crimping the in wall cables? Surely it'd be easier to connect them to faceplates?

Probably not crimping them correctly, it's quite a faf.

Personally I've used powerline adaptors, simply plug in and you're done.

Get decent speeds over them, no issues with the internet or anything.

Except powerline are much slower, no guaranteed speed or reliability and potentially mess up your broadband speed due to working on the same frequencies as VDSL.

Worse still, it can interfere with your neighbours broadband and not your own, so you would never know you are making someone elses life hell.

Except powerline are much slower and potentially mess up your broadband speed due to working on the same frequencies as VDSL. Worse still, it can interfere with your neighbours broadband and not your own, so you would never know you are making someone elses life hell.

Or you could be near a radio amateur, and you'd have to get rid of the powerline stuff if they complained...

Why crimp - why not buy ready made patch leads?

Or are you crimping the in wall cables? Surely it'd be easier to connect them to faceplates?

That's a very good point. Most of my cables now are really cheap flat CAT6 cables off eBay and never had any problems with them.