Paypal scam!!beware!

........anyone else getting these texts on your mobile? it says Paypal have blocked your account please log in your details.Actually when you read who it's from it's from Payopal.co.uk. but not everyone might spot it.

I think it's come from something I advertised on Gumtree and foolishly left my mobile contact number............had 8 texts now all from different numbers!

Beware!

The real warning here is ... Don't post personal details online.

I've just had one, from a number starting with 3, I didn't open it.

Send a text back saying **** off.......

Send a text back saying **** off.......
..........well I did take the Trump approach but it seem to invite more!!........could be school kids that are just bored 'cause they have finished their homework early.......not accusing,just saying like!.......nothing surprises me anymore!

Having a bomb proof PC, I quite like (time permitting) to reply to all these spoof emails with a complete set of duff but plausible information. If everyone did the same, the spammers would be flooded with fake info and would not have the time to process all of it. In theory, this should then reduce the problem. One of the fake Paypal emails I replied to was truly breathtaking in just how much confidential information it asked for. Anyone fooled into filling it in properly would be a sitting duck for fraud. Be careful!!

Anyone trying to hack my bank account would start a go fund me

Edited by Orangepip

Which is not to say if it has https at the front its safe either. Just make absolutely sure you are visiting the site you think you are.

This is why people using Google to access sites instead of entering the URL directly is a huge risk. If Google ever got hacked, or spoofed, then EVERY site you look up could be a fake. If you are entering the URL into the URL bar directly, there is a least a little more security that you will end up on the correct site. Although even then, it doesn't hurt to check the security certificate and URL to make sure they are the site you expected.

Also, enable dual-factor authentication on PayPal. I have had it on mine for ages now, it means I get a message sent to my phone with an authentication code before I can login. It at least means if someone DOES somehow get your login details, they will still be unable to login and you will know when they try, giving you warning to change your password.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Which is not to say if it has https at the front its safe either. Just make absolutely sure you are visiting the site you think you are.

This is why people using Google to access sites instead of entering the URL directly is a huge risk. If Google ever got hacked, or spoofed, then EVERY site you look up could be a fake. If you are entering the URL into the URL bar directly, there is a least a little more security that you will end up on the correct site. Although even then, it doesn't hurt to check the security certificate and URL to make sure they are the site you expected.

Also, enable dual-factor authentication on PayPal. I have had it on mine for ages now, it means I get a message sent to my phone with an authentication code before I can login. It at least means if someone DOES somehow get your login details, they will still be unable to login and you will know when they try, giving you warning to change your password.

.........very helpful.I was not aware about the Paypal code!

That is why it is not always a good idea to store financial sites in your favourites folder - as hackers can control that too if you are not careful. Keep your favourites in Notepad as plain .txt and copy into your browser.

That is why it is not always a good idea to store financial sites in your favourites folder - as hackers can control that too if you are not careful. Keep your favourites in Notepad as plain .txt and copy into your browser.

I do not bookmark any of my regular sites, why would you need to? Type the first few characters in the URL bar and it will come up from your history and you can also now verify its correct before pressing enter.