Woodseats Workingmens clubs goalkeeper

Does any one remember when the Owls borrowed Woodseats WMC goalkeeper Due to both Springett and Grummitt being injured:)

Perhaps not the same game but I recall an FA Cup game at Hillsborough in early 1967, the Owls v Mansfield Town. Ron Springett was taken ill not long before the kick-off. The second choice goalie Peter Wicks, was away with the reserves so Wednesday had to call up the youth team goalie who was sat in the South stand. I think his name was Gary Scothorn (?) and the Owls won that day.

Trevor Pearson rings a bell.

Trevor Pearson rings a bell.

Thats him , I wonder what happened to him after the unexpected call up.

He played another 3 times and went back to Kiveton Park according to Wiki.

Edited by chillax

Perhaps not the same game but I recall an FA Cup game at Hillsborough in early 1967, the Owls v Mansfield Town. Ron Springett was taken ill not long before the kick-off. The second choice goalie Peter Wicks, was away with the reserves so Wednesday had to call up the youth team goalie who was sat in the South stand. I think his name was Gary Scothorn (?) and the Owls won that day.

He was 16 and kept a clean sheet. Youngest ever was Peter Fox at 15 who went on to have a long career with Stoke.

Yes, I remember all those keepers playing for us and saw the home matches, and maybe their away ones.

1972 - Trevor Pearson.

The Owls have usually had decent keepers during the fifty seven years i,ve been watching football, and the Blades have had there share.

The Owls have usually had decent keepers during the fifty seven years i,ve been watching football, and the Blades have had there share.

Owls and 'decent keepers' in fifty seven years Alan, (about my time span too.)

How many would you put above 'decent' ? For me : Ron Springett, Bob Bolder, Chris Turner, Martin Hodge and Kieron Westwood, Peter Springett (??). may have missed a few as not lived in Sheffield for a few years.

---------- Post added 30-01-2017 at 18:34 ----------

He was 16 and kept a clean sheet. Youngest ever was Peter Fox at 15 who went on to have a long career with Stoke.

With respect to some of the goalies mentioned, what about thse that were there in barren years before Ronnie Springett came : Dave Mcintosh, Charlie Pllu, Brian Ryalls, Roy McLaren and who can forget Mike (Oops !) Pinner ?

---------- Post added 30-01-2017 at 18:36 ----------

Yes, I remember all those keepers playing for us and saw the home matches, and maybe their away ones.

1972 - Trevor Pearson.

The 1970's wasn't a great time to be watching the Owls !

Edited by stpetre
Spell

Woodseats WMC clubs goalkeeper.

A lighthearted view.

Mark Pearson

TREVOR PEARSON

John Pearson

Nigel Pearson

Adam Pearson.

It seems SWFC used to go to the Castle(boy) Market to recruit staff. It ap-pears they saw lots of pears-on the stalls, and decided to buy them for an undisclosed fee. That certainly gives one fruit-for-thought.

According to Chillax in post 5, Trevor Pearson played 4 times for Sheff Wed, then returned to Kiveton Park, which is near to Woodsetts. Is there a WMC in Woodsetts? Does Woodseats WMC still apply? I wonder why Trevor Parson walked-out on the Owls after only 4 games. Was he sett in his ways?

Peter Springett

Peter Wicks

Peter Grummitt

Peter Fox.

I wonder if Wednesday had any other goalies called Peter in years gone by. I presume the 4 goalies mentioned all had a safe pear of hands, afterall, a safe is at times called a Peter.

Am I mistaked in thinking that Peter Eustace, or possibly Peter Atherton may have gone in goal during a game when the proper goalie had gotten injured? I have a slight rememberance of this happening.

Anyway, I’ll pare this post off now, because there’ll be at least a pair of owls on here sayin I’m STEERING towards tiddle-taking.

Black armbands for Prendergast!

Am I mistaked in thinking that Peter Eustace, or possibly Peter Atherton may have gone in goal during a game when the proper goalie had gotten injured? I have a slight rememberance of this happening.

Not sure about those two.

Bronco Layne went in goal against Blackpool and Wednesday won with ten men. Lee Bullen played in all eleven positions.

Not sure about those two.

Bronco Layne went in goal against Blackpool and Wednesday won with ten men. Lee Bullen played in all eleven positions.

Hi Jim, just spoken to David about the Blackpool game and he remembered it as though it was yesterday. His words were, Ah Ron got hurt so i went in goal, no subs in them days i was in goal eighty eight minutes. we won one nought, Eddie Holliday scored. Have to say i didn,t remember it but my hero did. :hihi: