Where have snails come from in tropical fish tank

Can anyone shed any light on tropical fish tank suddenly getting snails ? This has freaked me out.

Lol, sounds like me years ago. God knows where they come from and how they get in there. My friend had a tropical fish tank that got snails, we emptied the fish tank thoroughly, washed all the tranklements in there, put new gravel etc in. We were both right chuffed with ourselves, we'd done it, got rid of all the snails.........oh no we hadn't, a week later they were back. Why? How? We never understood it

Edited by chocki

We have never had them before or have any live plants etc? They are vile!

We have got them aswell we changed all tank ornaments gravel job lot an still they came back havnt a clue how or where they come from

It has really messed with my head! Don't want them anymore now.

Google thetropical tank.co.uk all answers on there

Put a couple of clown loach in, theyll eat the snails

easily solved, go buy an assassin snail, will soon get numbers down

Can anyone shed any light on tropical fish tank suddenly getting snails ? This has freaked me out.

Make friends with a Frenchman and invite him round for tea. You get to make a new friend and you also get rid of your snail problem. 2 birds with one stone :)

Try using Gastropex Aquatic snail treatment you put a few drops in your tank think we bought it on line about a fiver this gets rid of most of them clown loaches and other loaches are supposed to eat them too only God knows where they come from!

Snail eggs are on plants that you buy. You put the plant in your tank and the eggs hatch. Or if you buy fish that are in a tank with plants at the pet shop, it's possible to transport the eggs that way.

Cleaning the tank once won't get rid of them as the eggs get everywhere and you can't possibly get them all out. Even if you miss just a single egg or snail, that's all it takes. Snails don't need to be in pairs to breed, they can do it alone!!

You can get rid of them by cleaning the tank regularly and physically removing every snail you see. It takes months though before they're all gone!

Edited by angel22

I had a Bio tank with plastic plants and it was full of these snails what I could`nt understand I had no new fish or any type of plant and after a year of having a lovely clear tank.They invaded and I do mean invaded it was awful instead of looking at pretty fish these snails took over after spending three months trying to get rid I gave up Now the tank is under the stairs