Sheffield bands in the early to mid 80s

I remember those days with great affection. I remember my favourite band in the early to mid 80s were The Uncool Dance band. They played Sheffield a lot but not sure they were actually from Sheffield. I remember their songs were really catchy and if memory serves me right one was called I wish she was my girl?

I used to love watching their bass player who was a bit mad and always sang along to much of the songs to a mike stand - with no mic. Fantastic. I'd love to hear some of their songs again but I can't find anything about them.

I played bass in a band called Tension (who later changed their name to the Popups) and we played catchy popy 80s stuff. We didn't really gig enough to get well known but we played the Hallamshire and all the other regular pub gigs.

We recorded live sessions and interviews for Radio Sheffield and Radio Hallam too. Radio Hallam even paid us :-) We were quite popular with many of the Hallam DJs such as Brian Westlake, Dave Kilner (who came to see us a few times) and even Beverly Chub. They played our songs for months and often said really nice encouraging things about us. One of our songs often played was, Not another Love Song.

We played in the Battle of the Bands competition (as the Popups) at the Fiesta run by the star and won our leg, but lost out in the final to Sharp Cuts. In our leg my Bass amp packed in during the second song and I completed the gig playing sharing the guitarists amp.

Anyone else remember this era?

im from that era and the great sheffiled bands in the early 80`s were The Human League,ABC,Heaven 17,Tompson Twins and the gods that are Def Leppard .

Same here, I remember going to sheff uni at 16:roll: to

watch the sheffield bands:D

Great days for music in Sheffield. The original drummer from ABC who played on Tears Are Not Enough (Dave Robinson) became our drummer (in Tension) after he left them. The original bass Player (Mark Lickley) inspired me to take up slapping on my bass and showed me how do the funk bit which he used on Poison Arrow.

As a result of my post I've been contacted by Steve, the lead singer from The Uncool Danceband. Viva the Internet :-)

In the early 80's I saw some amazing local bands in the Royal on London Road, The Hallamshire, The George the 4th on Infirmary Rd and the Limit.

Anyone remember New Model Soldier, Artery, Scarborough Antelopes, In the Nursery. Repulsive Alien, Red Zoo, Bikini Atoll, and the early Pulp to name but a few.

There was an album out called Bouquet of Steel which featured tracks from local bands, it was an exciting time to be a fan of local music. Brilliant nights in the Hallamshire and The Beehive and great memories.

As a result of my post I've been contacted by Steve, the lead singer from The Uncool Danceband. Viva the Internet :-)

Viva Sheffield Forum !

Tsi-Tsa Dingo,Daisy,Mick,John,Martin & Josie Top Band

Can anybody remember T.O.A I'm desperate for a copy of "Sherry in the Moonlight" or any other of there recording's

Repulsive Alien, Red Zoo, Bikini Atoll, and the early Pulp to name but a few.

-

Was the lead singer of Popups called Martin? Did a brilliant version of The Commodore's "Easy"