Feedback wanted on website

A little feedback would be welcome.

http://www.MAC-Plastering.com

Already thinking of ditching the 0800 number and switching back to a Sheffield 0114 number.

Many thanks, Chris

A little feedback would be welcome.

http://www.MAC-Plastering.com

Already thinking of ditching the 0800 number and switching back to a Sheffield 0114 number.

Many thanks, Chris

We've kept our 0800 purely because we deal nationwide and southerners think we are different country ;)

So many people have free minutes now there's not as much point in 0800 numbers as there used to be - certainly if you deal locally.

Website looks nice on my iPad. One small point - given how most websites are designed now I'm not sure you need "more info below".

We've kept our 0800 purely because we deal nationwide and southerners think we are different country ;)

So many people have free minutes now there's not as much point in 0800 numbers as there used to be - certainly if you deal locally.

Website looks nice on my iPad. One small point - given how most websites are designed now I'm not sure you need "more info below".

Thank you very much.

The more info below was due to my missus thinking people would not scroll down themselves or know they could scroll down.

The 0800 number has had 70 calls in 12 months with about 50 being potential customers / genuine enquiries, I think I will flip back over to a localised number.

Points taken and appreciated. Thank you

Good afternoon, I'm thought it looked great tho I did notice one little thing. At the top of the page under the plastering section it says your based in sheffield, and down at the bottom of the page it says your based in Rotherham.

Good afternoon, I'm thought it looked great tho I did notice one little thing. At the top of the page under the plastering section it says your based in sheffield, and down at the bottom of the page it says your based in Rotherham.

I'v altered things so it read a little clearer. I'm right on the border so need to reach out in both directions.

Thanks for the feedback.

It looks ok, however from a quick look at the home page and about us page it looks like the copy has been written in a really old school attempt at SEO. By that I mean it doesn't read well, as the words plastering, rendering, plasterer, plasterers, Sheffield Rotherham etc have been shoe horned in repeatedly, so much so I would have thought Google might consider it spammy? (be interesting to hear what the SEO experts on here think) either way it doesn't make for an easy read

The title tags are not great, nor are the meta descriptions IMO, again be good to hear from the experts. You've submitted it to Google places which is good

Finally I would have your contact numbers and a nice call to action at the top so people don't have to searching for them.

It looks ok, however from a quick look at the home page and about us page it looks like the copy has been written in a really old school attempt at SEO. By that I mean it doesn't read well, as the words plastering, rendering, plasterer, plasterers, Sheffield Rotherham etc have been shoe horned in repeatedly, so much so I would have thought Google might consider it spammy? (be interesting to hear what the SEO experts on here think) either way it doesn't make for an easy read

The title tags are not great, nor are the meta descriptions IMO, again be good to hear from the experts. You've submitted it to Google places which is good

Finally I would have your contact numbers and a nice call to action at the top so people don't have to searching for them.

It is was it is regarding readability, it ranks well and reads ok will do for me.

As long as the average person sees clearly what we do and what we offer then im ok with that, I'd rather no SEO people ring me or get in touch as I get it constantly.

Phone numbers should be on top right of the home page and bottom of every page.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ps, I will have a look at the about me page, the bulk of that is what I got for paying £300 a month SEO. Thanks again.

Edited by Mac_Plas

I visited your site last week for a bit of research I was doing. I was looking at your logo rather than the site though.

I know that you haven't asked for feedback on it but I do think the logo looks like something done in Word. The 3 circles arc over your company name in an odd manner, the spacing is off. And it doesn't really say Plastering or Rendering to me.

Back to the site. It is viewable on mobile which is a big plus as many people only look on phones these days.

On your portfolio page I think it could be made clearer which ones are before and after photos. Of course many it is easy to tell which one is which but an example is this image: http://www.mac-plastering.com/wp-content/gallery/landscape/pict0492.jpg

I couldn't instantly tell which house it belonged to so name the pictures for example "Semi-Detached with Porch: Before New Rendering" and "Semi-Detached with Porch: After New Rendering". Or something else just give each group of photos a name and I think it will be easier to tell.

Also from a SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) point of view the photos don't have names related to what you do. They have the names that the camera has given them "DSC_0405.JPG" or things like "image3". For a SEO they should include your keywords ideally but don't over do it. If your can't fit your keyword in the image naturally then don't - what I mean by that is think how you would talk normally. Search engines don't like if you keyword cram.

Also found this dead link on the Portfolio page "http://www.mac-plastering.com/wp-content/plugins/fusion-builder/inc/lib/assets/min/js/general/fusion-ie9.js?ver=1"

I checked another one of the pages so I'm guessing these appears on all pages as it is part of the widget area on WP. It appears under your email address.

In regards to what NewBiz says it might be consider a bit spammy. I'll not gonna lie I haven't followed SEO techniques in recent years. But I do know that Google and other search engines like your text to appear natural but you do of course still have to mention your keywords but just don't over do it.

There is a Wordpress Plugin called Yoast SEO, I have heard a few good things about it and installed on my new site. I haven't really played around with it much but it does have good reviews, maybe you could install that?

I have had a fair few people have a crack at the site and spend quite a lot of money over the years.

I appreciate the input from professionals but we are going a little deep into the back of it here, most people won't be interested in the small technical things. The general feel and message was all I was after from an untrained eye.

I have spoken to many SEO and Web designers and paid out over £6k to them over the years, they will always find something they don't like. 90% would complain about googles home page. Lol.

I will look into what info I received but really wanted to know if the general message of what we did was easily portrayed.

Thanks

Edited by Mac_Plas

I think to the average person you website is fine. Although as I pointed out I do think you could do with naming your images so it is easier to follow the before and after.

Your website looks a lot more professional than some sites you see.

I think one of the problems from a lay persons point of view is the number of links. You have repeated some of the links further down, I don't think you need to put Portfolio, Insurance, Prices, etc again. I would be tempted to make the homepage smaller and remove these links as you already have them at the top.

Something like for the homepage: Menu, Image showing work (this could be a series of say 3-5 images showing what you do) and then text about the main bits that you do, which is plastering and rendering. Then your footer. I would skip the the recent projects bit (its already covered under the portfolio link) and the bit about coloured render. I think the rest of the site could stay the same but I would be tempted to change the home page just so it is easier to see what you do. Sometimes people can get lost in a site when there is lots of information on one page.

I would keep it simple because the average person no naff all about plastering and rendering. What they want is to get a good first impression from the home page - some nice pics and a bit about what you do. You can save the more detailed info for the links you have at the top - which although they might be good for SEO purposes the average person doesn't really care about the more technical side of rendering or plastering.

But do you really want to change the site? I get the impression no because it sounds like you have done a fair bit over the years. But it does make me wonder why you are coming here, it makes it sound like you have doubts over what your web designer has done.

Really the designer should have done research and know what will appeal to your customers. If they say it works and you are getting work from it then does it matter what anyone on here thinks. If it works for you then does it matter that I think the homepage could be simpler?

Edited by Love2print
typos

I've asked on here because I was hoping see if it was easy to follow to the untrained eye, and I greatly appreciate all the feedback.

I can't ask the missus as she knows too much about my work.

I will have a look over the next few weeks, I can see you've taken some time out to have a look and respond and I appreciate that, thank you.

Chris