Anyone remember the Tailor Barney Goodmans?

many years ago my grandad used 2 have all is suits made at a tailors called barny goodmans. i can remember him wearing them and they all seemed 2 have massively wide shoulders on them. i sometimes go in the attercliffe liberal club and see 2 chaps always at the bar whom seem 2 be wearing the same quality suits, is this shop stillgoing.

Barney Goodmans is still going strong. I have my suits made there.

They are on Ecclesall Road, town side of the Berkely Precinct.

Staff all worked at original shop but some are getting on a bit.

To have a suit made at Barney Goodmans was the best in Sheffield.

Although their were many ex BG cutters and staff who setup their own businesses making suits in the same styles, BG's was the original shop to really set the standards.

You could always tell a BG suit in the shop's heyday, it fitted perfectly.

Nowadays, even the top taylors seem to make the sleeves too long or leave a 'Leed's Gutter' in the back of the jacket.

You can see these on tv any night of the week.

Happy Days

Had my suit tailor_made at Barneys when I was 15,I am 36 now.Used to be a skinhead in those days-and I still wear it!!!!It is a prince of wales check.

s a lad in the60's I could not afford a whistle and flute from barnys,but I used a good tailor called Vincents who had a shop on the corner of Church St.The shop was just a bare front room with the tailors working in the back room.Two fittings and 4 weeks later and you collected your suit all wrapped up in a brown paper parcel.There was also a tailors on West St,I dont remember the name.There didnt seem to be much trouble in town in those days ,probably the reason was we were all wearing suits that cost a months wages.

Originally posted by Andyman

Barney Goodmans is still going strong. I have my suits made there.

They are on Ecclesall Road, town side of the Berkely Precinct.

Staff all worked at original shop but some are getting on a bit.

Back in the mid 60's there were two tailors of reknown in Sheffield beside Barney Goodmans, one was Kearney's he was behind the Hyperdrome Cinema, the other was Bill Mackley who I believe was an ex Barney Goodman cutter who went into business on his own, he was down in West Bar. I seem to recall.

in those days a tailor made suit with three fittings would cost you around twenty five pounds, which was a pincely sum, but the ends results were stunning and well worth the money.

I had one suit made by Kearney, and two suits and overcoat made by Bill Mackley, and I have never had anything to match them since, they were both tailors of distinction.

Tony Land - [email protected]

I had suits made by Bill Mackley and they were the tops as soon as you put one on you knew it had been made for you, it fitted perfectly.

When you got ready to go out in the 60's you felt great wearing the suit, tie, linen shirt and good pair of leather shoes.

My lad scrounged the last jacket I had, he wears it to a pair of jeans.

Bill had twin daughters who were both married on the same day.

I wonder if they are still in Sheffield?

Happy Days!

Who runs the shop these days,is it Ralph Barneys son,or has someone else got the shop.

my father in law (now deceased) stared his trade at Barneys when it was in the city centre somewhere near where Gap is now, he worked there in the 50's and 60's before setting up his own Tailor's at Hillsborough called Frederiks.

He also did many a window display for Barney

Originally posted by mattsmith

Who runs the shop these days,is it Ralph Barneys son,or has someone else got the shop.

The owner retired several years ago, and the staff bought the business and moved to the present shop in Ecclesall Rd.

I used to have suits from Bill Mackley when his shop was at the top of Hounsfield Rd opposite the old Scala cinema,and I had a blazer made in a maroon material,the colour was very avant garde in those days,and I agree with everything said about Bill Mackleys tailoring,I am showing my age now when I say the blazer cost eight guineas(£8.40 p)but boy was it worth it!!!when I went out in it I felt like I was on top of the world, maybe a bit skint from expensive tailoring but who cared!

My mother, Pauline Taylor, worked as a part-time seamstress for Barney Goodman in the early 70's. I remember she used to take us kids down to the shop's basement to see her and the other staff work. I seem to remember the shop being on Pinstone Street or thereabouts? My younger bother, Andrew, was spoilt a bit by the staff. Each visit they would give him a wage packet with a 3d piece in it. He would call it "his wages".

Kevin Taylor.