Grimesthorpe Part 3

lovely photo"s peter, took me back to the sixties when I met my darling wife..sadly iv"e lost her after 55yrs.

lovely photo"s peter, took me back to the sixties when I met my darling wife..sadly iv"e lost her after 55yrs.

Hi Padders,

Thankyou for your kind words.

I'm sorry to hear of your sad loss.

Best regards, Peter.

Can you recall the Grimesthorpe club trip we got 10 bob and pop and crisps en route to cleethorpes all coaches lined up alond adsetts street another thing cast into the history books ... Littlewoods always had the nice fancy new charra bangs lol

and don't forget the vouchers for free rides in wonderland.

I lived lower shiregreen (woolley wood rd) so I went with bellhouse wmc. remember the old bath tickets ? , well the free ride tickets were a bit like them, anybody else remember them. could be me going senile.

Hi Peter ,

In response to your post 1792 , many thanks for the lovely photo's .

Your pretty young lady with her stunning looks (model like ) must have done you proud .:)

The 1960's eh . . . can't break away from it .

You know what Peter . . . sometimes i feel like being in a time warp of

of 'Dr Who' and don't want it to end!

The last photo below . . .

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Margarets%20Albums%20050_zpsmuntsnhp.jpg

. . . showing ' St Rebor ' sounds very much like it could be an holiday

resort ,say like somewhere in France etc !

Yet can't help thinking it could have been a Diecasting company ,

making some sort of locking devices for the motor trade again 1960's /70's time.

Seem to remember you being quite interested from earlier posts

in motor cars , plus your 'Ever Ready ' days.

Wonder if ' St Rebor ' is an holiday resort or 'motor trade ' connection ? :)

Mick .

Edited by Southey owl

Can you recall the Grimesthorpe club trip we got 10 bob and pop and crisps en route to cleethorpes all coaches lined up alond adsetts street another thing cast into the history books ... Littlewoods always had the nice fancy new charra bangs lol

I think Littlewood's only had two coaches -garaged at Petre Street/Garter Street- and most of the time they went to the Devon area.

Hi Peter ,

In response to your post 1792 , many thanks for the lovely photo's .

Your pretty young lady with her stunning looks (model like ) must have done you proud .:)

The 1960's eh . . . can't break away from it .

You know what Peter . . . sometimes i feel like being in a time warp of

of 'Dr Who' and don't want it to end!

The last photo below . . .

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Margarets%20Albums%20050_zpsmuntsnhp.jpg

. . . showing ' St Rebor ' sounds very much like it could be an holiday

resort ,say like somewhere in France etc !

Yet can't help thinking it could have been a Diecasting company ,

making some sort of locking devices for the motor trade again 1960's /70's time.

Seem to remember you being quite interested from earlier posts

in motor cars , plus your 'Ever Ready ' days.

Wonder if ' St Rebor ' is an holiday resort or 'motor trade ' connection ? :)

Mick .

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the Marty Wilde video. It takes me straight back to those times :)

Regarding your question about 'St Rebor'. It was the name of Margaret's parents house on Church Lane in Bramley near Rotherham. It was on the house when they bought it in the 50s. I have wondered many times where it originally came from. The house was built in the 20s/30s and may have had the name for many years but her parents had no information. There is an old church at the bottom of the lane but not with the name in question.

Here are a few more pics at St Rebor in the early 60s.....

http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/peterlaurence/media/Margarets%20Albums%20075_zpsfldxxqja.jpg.html?sort=3&o=151#

http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/peterlaurence/media/Margarets%20Albums%20074_zpspbeiskie.jpg.html?sort=3&o=152

http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/peterlaurence/media/Scan-111207-0008_zpsujq86syo.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/peterlaurence/media/Scan-111207-0007_zps0frirfvp.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Hope this subject is not too far off Thread but, however, it is about a young lad who's formative years were in Grimesthorpe from birth in 1943 until moving to Shiregreen in 1958 :)

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the Marty Wilde video. It takes me straight back to those times :)

Regarding you question about 'St Rebor'. It was the name of Margaret's parents house on Church Lane in Bramley near Rotherham. It was on the house when they bought it in the 50s. I have wondered many times where it originally came from. The house was built in the 20s/30s and may have had the name for many years but her parents had no information. There is an old church at the bottom of the lane but not with the name in question.

I've been trying to put some pics on this response for a couple of days but there appears to be a problem with Photobucket.

Hope this subject is not too far off Thread but, however, it is about a young lad who's formative years were in Grimesthorpe from birth in 1943 until moving to Shiregreen in 1958 :)

Peter.

St Rebor is "Roberts" backwards. My grandad told me that when I was very small.

St Rebor is "Roberts" backwards. My grandad told me that when I was very small.

There is an actor called Robert Trebor.

http://i.imgur.com/0H7DiSd.jpg

Photo of Mr Francis at Owler Lane School, 1958.

I'm surprised at some of the comments here. When I worra lad, Mr Francis was very popular and well liked.

Your right Ralph i always found him ok,now Mr.Ruttle hated him.

http://i.imgur.com/8JUne5G.jpg

Hello Sheila. No, we didn't mess with Mr.(Paddy) Ruttle.

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 22:55 ----------

I was recently telling my grandkids about my schooldays and how times have changed. When I drive past the site of the old school on Owler Lane, usually on my way to The Northern General to have some bits put back, the memories always come flooding back. For me anyway, Owler Lane was a happy school and can recall most of my teachers and many fellow pupils. In my day we didn't have lessons, always classes. Geography class, science class, painting (not art) class with my favourite being woodwork class.

My second favourite was music class and the name was misleading as it had very little to do with sharps, flats, treble clefs and crotchets. Instead, it was all about singing. Singing at the tops of our voices accompanied by Mr. Lowe, our old singing teacher on his equally old piano. I can still see his trousers, held up by braces with the waste band around his chest.

My time at Owler Lane coincided with the birth of Rock and Roll but we never got to sing Rock Around the Clock or Blue Suede Shoes, for four years it was always a selection of Mr. Lowe's all time favourites: Scarborough Fair, A Lass from Richmond Hill, Barbara Allen and Dashing Away With a Smoothing Iron to name a few. One song sticks out in my memory and was always sung with great enthusiasm, a song that wouldn't be allowed today but perhaps should be as we can't change history nor our schooldays.

Johnny Come Down to Hilo................(an old sea shanty).

Johnny come down to Hilo ~ Lyrics

(WINDLASS AND CAPSTAN SHANTY)

1. I nebber see de like since I bin born,

When a big buck ****** wid de sea boots on,

Says "Johnny come down to Hilo.

Poor old man."

Oh wake her, oh, shake her,

Oh wake dat gel wid de blue dress on,

When Johnny comes down to Hilo.

Poor old man.]

2. I lub a little gel across de sea,

She's a Badian[1] beauty and she sez to me,

"Oh Johnny,"etc.

3. Oh was you ebber down in Mobile Bay

Where dey screws de cotton on a summer day?

When Johnny,etc.

4. Did you ebber see de ole Plantation Boss

And de long-tailed filly and de big black hoss?

When Johnny,etc.

5. I nebber seen de like since I bin born

When a big buck ****** wid de sea boots on,

Says "Johnny come down,"etc.

Hi Jean,dont think she was any relation.Hope your keeping well,it was very handy living so near Oldfields dairy got home before ice cream started to melt.x

----------------------

Hi Sheila, Did you manage to get down to the Tramlines in town

last w/end, we saw and spoke to each other last year can you remember.

If you did town what pub did you go in, although i didn't get down myself

due to illness. Hope your keeping well. Brian. :thumbsup:

PS, will drop you a PM very soon.