Help buying a Macbook

Also worth keeping in mind that (I think) apple sets up its laptops in such a way that for the processor to run at full speed the laptop pulls additional charge from the battery, - it can't run at full speed from just the mains, so if its an older model, with a worn out battery, it might not run at full speed. It could be different for the likes of the less high end models that have the more power efficient processors but that was the case a few years ago for the MacBook pro's. I think.

Are you sure you've got that the right way round? If true, it would imply it was difficult to charge the laptop whilst using it - which is something people very often want to do with laptops. Limiting the processor speed to save power when only powered by battery I can understand. I could possibly understand limiting the processor speed whilst charging the battery because both generate heat and that might be too much for the system's cooling to cope with (although that would arguably be a design fault). Not being able to run at full speed from just the mains seems very strange - a slightly beefier power supply would cost very little extra and saving a tiny bit of money but losing the ability to charge and use at the same time doesn't sound like to sort of thing even a cheapo product would do let alone a premium one.

Are you sure you've got that the right way round? If true, it would imply it was difficult to charge the laptop whilst using it - which is something people very often want to do with laptops. Limiting the processor speed to save power when only powered by battery I can understand. I could possibly understand limiting the processor speed whilst charging the battery because both generate heat and that might be too much for the system's cooling to cope with (although that would arguably be a design fault). Not being able to run at full speed from just the mains seems very strange - a slightly beefier power supply would cost very little extra and saving a tiny bit of money but losing the ability to charge and use at the same time doesn't sound like to sort of thing even a cheapo product would do let alone a premium one.

Sure? No, but I did some digging for where I may have read it,

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/apple-macbook-pro-battery-benchmarks,news-29756.html

Whether this is for certain, or if Apple still does it, no idea.

Sure? No, but I did some digging for where I may have read it,

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/apple-macbook-pro-battery-benchmarks,news-29756.html

Whether this is for certain, or if Apple still does it, no idea.

Thanks for that. I'm genuinely surprised by it - it seems such an odd limitation to put on a system.

I also considered buying a new Mac as well as a second hand one. In the end, after advice on SF and looking at specs myself, I will be buying a Windows PC.

I don't have an issue with Mac OS (I have used it before) but I don't consider it superior to Windows just different.

For me it came down to budget - I can get a higher spec PC and larger monitor for less than the iMac 21.5" I considered buying.

Fan boy alert. Sorry but I've used one every working day for the past 2 years. I guess I just don't buy into the cult.

You think using an OS for two years makes you an expert? :loopy:

To put it into perspective, we have modelling hardware that ultilises 4x P100, dual 8 core Xeons with 128GB of ram. The OS of choice in this setup is Linux without even thinking about it. It is far more customisable and easier to work with "if you know how". You obviously don't and ignorant as shown by your lack of understanding and willingness to learn.

ez8004 - there is no need to be rude and insulting. This is a friendly discussion and everyone is allowed to have their opinions. Two years is quite long enough to know if one likes something or not, particularly a mere computer. Judging by the number of fairly new Apple computers that appear on eBay, probedb is not alone in his opinions.

i've got an early 2011 macbook pro, 13.3 2nd gen core i7, 8gb ram and 128gb apple installed ssd. removed the superdrive and replaced with a 1tb drive for storage and this out performs the windows laptops ive had with much better spec than this. It's also running latest OS X Sierra faultlessly

You think using an OS for two years makes you an expert? :loopy:

To put it into perspective, we have modelling hardware that ultilises 4x P100, dual 8 core Xeons with 128GB of ram. The OS of choice in this setup is Linux without even thinking about it. It is far more customisable and easier to work with "if you know how". You obviously don't and ignorant as shown by your lack of understanding and willingness to learn.

Wow, just wow. Falling back to insults. That's really made your case.

Yep, been working in IT, building software, websites and all kinds of other stuff for the past 25 years using linux, os x, risc os, window xp, vista, 7, 8 and 10...oh and Android and iOS. Yep definitely no experience and definitely ignorant.

Also OS X != Linux.

Wow, just wow. Falling back to insults. That's really made your case.

Yep, been working in IT, building software, websites and all kinds of other stuff for the past 25 years using linux, os x, risc os, window xp, vista, 7, 8 and 10...oh and Android and iOS. Yep definitely no experience and definitely ignorant.

Also OS X != Linux.

Really? Anyone who knows anything about computers would not make the statement you made with OSX and Linux. They are not equal even if they are based on Unix. The actual core of OSX was from the NeXTStep operating system which Steve Jobs founded in 1988. So OSX predates Linux by a number of years.

So what exactly have you learnt in 25 years?