Around 1960 angling memories

Anyone with memories of the Sheffield team for the National in the early 60s? Probably all dead by now but my Dad, Jim Farrell, was in the team from 1961 and I'd love to know for how many years, how well they did etc.

Edited by Emilia8
Typo

I knew your dad, a fine angler. I was in the apprentice training workshop at the english steel corptn in 1960 as a fifteen year old where he came in one day on some business or other where we began chatting.

Maybe a year or so later I was in one of the works matches on the Trent at Farnden where he was drawn above me in the next peg.Halfway thro the match his net was bursting with fish so with no more room he emptied his wicker basket on the bank then took it into the water, spiked it to the riverbed with a bankstick and used it as a container to keep more fish in until the weigh in.

He won it hands down, as I said, he was a fine angler, one of the best in Sheffield in the early sixties.

I understand he took up salmon fishing later in life, the last time we met was in Stamfords tackle shop on attercliffe common where he worked.

Regarding the National lads I think there was Jack laude, Ken littlewood, Jack carr (who won the All England match on the Huntsspill in '56)Tommy eyre,kieth boswell, Brian Cheetham "Gentleman" George sands, ? Burkinshaw, all "names" at the time, some may be incorrect (apologise if they are) and many forgotton. I fished with many but time has fogged my memory regarding the names but the faces are still there

As are many happy memories..

Edited by flightliner

Thanks for that. Dad died in July, at nearly 96. He had a small stroke in late March but if he hadn't had it, he'd have been up on the South Esk a week later. Last August he caught 4 good trout up there - he couldn't fish for salmon because he couldn't scramble down the banks any longer. 4 days before he was found unconscious in July, he went on a Fellowship trip on a boat on the Trent, so that was his last outing.

I love the story about his keepnet being full so he used his basket! Sounds just like him! I think it would be Albert Burkinshaw although there was a father and son, and I'm not sure which was which.

You may have seen it, but if not there's a great film, 9 mins long, on the Yorkshire Film Archive website called Hook, Line and Sheffield, about a Works' Sports Match in, I think, 1962 or 3. It stars Dad's best friend Tommy Evans and the girl on the train in the woolly hat is me. Dad only appears right at the end when the English Steel team gets a trophy and they all line up, but you might know some if the others. Tommy Eyre is in it.

Thanks so much for your memories. He was indeed a brilliant angler, and salmon fisherman, and Dad, Grandad and Great-grandad. He had 95 really good years so although we are sad to lose him, we can't complain much.

Aaahhh, thats so sad to hear, your da was a one off for sure rip.

I often think of those early years when I was fortunate to have the chance to fish alongside many like him, sadly time as taken its toll but what a long life in angling that he enjoyed right 7nto his nineties--- I'm crossing my fingers here as I write.

I will look up the film you mention, those trains that ran from the old victoria station used to be packed with anglers getting their weekly ration of fresh air, a sight to see, again, sadly long gone.

Re the day Jim filled his basket, it was at Farnden, drive to the bankside pub, walk downstream to where the Newark dyke starts and the old river flows over a weir.

Then retrace your footsteps some 100 yards and you will be on the very spot!.:)