Prince of Wales Rd.farms pre 1950.

I can remember the name of the farm on the right hand side near the bottom of Prince of Wales road,going up,Badgers,but there was another one where the garage and the hotel is now,just below Pipworth road school.Can anyone remember the name of it?

I can remember the name of the farm on the right hand side near the bottom of Prince of Wales road,going up,Badgers,but there was another one where the garage and the hotel is now,just below Pipworth road school.Can anyone remember the name of it?

My other half's dad says he can remember the smell of it! Of the pigs at least.

Crabtree Farm?

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=17&lat=53.3746&lon=-1.4152&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Edited by Jim Hardie

Thats the one J.H.,cheers.I have just had another look at the map and the farm I was talking about was further down on the other side. I do not know the correct name for the farm but I always knew it as Badgers farm.My brother in law who lived in the cottages I mentioned drove Badgers lorry to collect milk from around the Penistone area and take it to the Co-Op on Broughton lane. My in-laws lived in the cottages that were once Crabtree farm and they kept pigs.

Edited by Kidorry

Is this it ? On the left below Pipworth road school.

Note the outdoor swimming pool just visible in Bowden wood in the distance at the bottom of the lane by the farm.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s24489&pos=6&action=zoom&id=26942

Edited by mickyboy

Is this it ? On the left below Pipworth road school.

Note the outdoor swimming pool just visible in Bowden wood in the distance at the bottom of the lane by the farm.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s24489&pos=6&action=zoom&id=26942

Yes, Crabtree Farm. Wasn't aware of it, not being local, but it's seems to have been on what is now the site of the garage and Travelodge which I use occasionaly on my trips back to Sheffield.

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/174/Sheffield-Richmond-hotel

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Yes, Crabtree Farm. Wasn't aware of it, not being local, but it's seems to be on what is now the site of the garage and Travelodge.

Peetr.

It looks a hell of a lot nicer then, than today.

It looks a hell of a lot nicer then, than today.

Very true mickyboy. I only sleep there for the odd night and choose it for convenience, not the wonderful views :hihi: The surrounding area has changed beyond recognition.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I remeber walking past the farm on the way to play on the fields with my friends. Sometimes the smell of the pigs was strong. I seem to remember it was just below the Sheffield works Dept.

I remeber walking past the farm on the way to play on the fields with my friends. Sometimes the smell of the pigs was strong. I seem to remember it was just below the Sheffield works Dept.

I remember that the lady who lived there who was probably the last resident there was a dinner lady at Pipworth Road School, this was about 1968/9. She had at least one son who was about 16 at the time.

There was a farm on Prince of Wales Road going up called Manor Farm. In the late 40s my classmate at Pipworth lived there: his name was Phillip Sheriff. They had a full size snooker table in one room and we used to play on it.