Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

I think there is a tenuous link in that the alley behind the Abbeydale Road sarsaparilla bar led down to a rag and bone yard on Broadfield Road. Not sure if it was the same one because I can remember two.

Thank you for explaining Person6, I am not familiar with that area.

Thank you for explaining Person6, I am not familiar with that area.

Then i suggest you keep your off the cuff coments to yourself until you do.

My late father used to live on Alderson Place off Bramall Lane, he used to tell me about what he called a " Drinks Shop " which sold Sarsaparilla and other soft drinks.

I remember him saying it was either on Bennett Street and or London Road, ( I wish I had paid more attention to him when he was alive).

My father played football in the 1940's for a junior team called Highfield Amateurs of which the owner of the Drinks shop was the manager, they used to meet up at this shop prior to playing.

I have a team picture of them from 1942 ish, taken in front of the pavilion at Bramall Lane.

I'd be interested if anyone could help with any info.

Cheers

Jack

Then i suggest you keep your off the cuff coments to yourself until you do.

Nice person you sound, is this your site , do you moderate the comments?

Bet you don't know where the little cobbled lane were that ran at the back of my local sarsparilla bar without looking at a map.

Nice person you sound, is this your site , do you moderate the comments?

Bet you don't know where the little cobbled lane were that ran at the back of my local sarsparilla bar without looking at a map.

That wont be the one running behind and coming out at the side of the Express Dairy will it? Heres one for you.. what was the name off the large company opposit the dairy over the river but before the railway line ??.....

And the answer to you 1st question is Yes i do.

Was it Tyzack's works that were opposite Express Dairies on the far side of the River Sheaf?

The shop at Manor top Barnards was a sarsaparilla and soda bar before Barnard took it over. The owners lived on Ridgehill Avenue

As teens we all walked up to Barnards and had a drink from the machine outside,which was quite a novelty in 1957. We had loads of laughs and enjoyment without a mobile phone in sight. Who would have wanted parents checking up on us anyway.

I'm sure there was a shop in the Wicker that sold sarsaparilla when I was a kid..

I remember the HERB shop on Barber Road and also one on Winter Street. Amazing smells and drinks and very cheap.

As teens we all walked up to Barnards and had a drink from the machine outside,which was quite a novelty in 1957. We had loads of laughs and enjoyment without a mobile phone in sight. Who would have wanted parents checking up on us anyway.

Mobile phone? Nobody on our street had a land line phone in 1957. There was only one house that had a telly

I remember buying sarsaparilla in a herbalists at Darnall but it wasn't a bar as such. Musgrove's? would that be it?