Spooky Public footpath Unston,Dronfield

Hey all

I've been there and it's not so scary. But yeah I think I know what you mean - I've seen an area in Monk Wood off the road where there is a wire mesh and what looks like a series of large motors in the middle. I've come across it a couple of times and was very confused by it! It doesn't seem to serve an obvious purpose, I think it's at a roadend (or mud track) fairly in the thick of the woods, but closer to Hallowes golf course than Sheepbridge. If you look on the ordnance survey of the area, I think its position is marked 'Black Piece' (look on bing.com/maps). Hope this helps. I might go and investigate again (:

I think it is a lot further south than the Round Dronfield walk Craig. Is this not the area that Rupert Carr is planning on developing for his Peak resort, and test clearing patches of woods to build log cabins etc.? I am sure thare is nothing spooky going on. The high fences are the original ones form when the area was open cast mining, later land fill. But, he has now owned the site for maybe 4 years, and no visible development yet. I will watch this thread with interest.

And if anyone wants to go exploring, let me know, I am on the doorstep, so to speak.

Edited by smithy266
last line added as afterthought

I'd be up for it, nothing spooks me.

I know of a place in Derbyshire where a certain part of the woods are adorned by dozens of animal skulls, i've camped there quite a few times.

I came across it one evening when a river crossing to my destination was impossible, the sun had gone down and i just wanted to throw the tent up.

I didn't notice the skulls till the next morning but it made me laugh, it's a place few people walk due to the nature of the terrain, just uphill there's a memorial to a walking party that died on the moor.

I'm not going to expand further as it's illegal to camp there, plus i want to keep the place private so i'm guaranteed a pitch there when i go wild camping. ;)

Hi Smithy - yeah you're right, it's just off that site where that resort (supposedly, if money allows) will be built. Actually, speaking of that, do you have any news?

Your observation does make sense of it but I do know I have seen what the original poster is talking about several years ago. Perhaps 6 years ago or beyond. There are logs there but there is a large motor also. I can understand why it would freak people out but I'm sure it has a purpose!

Oh... dur! just seen when Craig's was posted! Still, the new owner had owned it for a while, even then. And had, of course, been planning for at least 15 years before that.

No news that I know of: there's a site hut is in the car park, the one at the bottom of the track (by the slip road at Sheepbridge) went some while back.

Ahh actually that is true. A good friend of mine is from Unstone Green and she has mentioned to me that the golf course area was meant to become the site of a Centre Parks-like complex and that must have been 10 years ago when she first told me. I'm not holding my breath - the area has had many ambitious plans which have never taken off even after opening. Look at Sheffield's airports and the Centre for Popular Music. It just isn't an area for tourism.

I'm actually returning to Dronfield this weekend. If I get the chance I'll look for that place where the logs/motors are and take a picture and post it. I think you've answered the potential reason why it's there.

<<I'll look for that place where the logs/motors are>>

Cheers. I have never seen any motors when I have been tramping through, but there again, it's a big area.

I've just remembered about this thread (2 years late, I know) so it's time to bump it. I did go back there when I said I did but found nothing. Anybody else seen what me and the original poster have seen? The rags tied to string is a bit spooky!

I'm guessing the owner of the land is trying to scare people away. And he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids!

I've walked and cycled along the main path that runs parallel to the dual carriageway many times. Also did a walk recently through the wood but further south than you're talking about. However, I haven't explored the particular area you're referring to and so haven't seen the objects you're talking about. I have heard general suggestions that the wood is haunted but don't have any specific details and haven't experienced anything unusual myself. My understanding is that the wood to the west of the dual carriageway is Monk Wood and that there are about three different names for the wood you're referring to (to the east of the dual carriageway), including Barlow Lees Wood. It's anybody's guess which is the right name.

well, the new circular footpath/part cyclepath/part bridlepath is all but complete, and should be open to all soon, though I understand access to the inside of the route will be not possible, as this is the area to be developed. A new roundabout is planned, work due to start very soon, which will use the slip road from the Dronny bypass, and the bottom end of the existing track. Still not seen or heard of anything spooky though!