Beauchief Hotel closing?

Will be gutted if it affects Emma Harrison's income ...

Went past the other day and it's still standing.

Yes it's still standing but doesn't look like anyone's done anything with it, other than put security fences up around it. A real shame to see it stand empty.

What happened to developing it into flats?

I would have thought it was an ideal place for a travel lodge type budget hotel it has parking and is on route to the Peak District has good links to the centre and near the railway station. Very few budget hotels in the area.

Always seemed to do well out of functions so a good function room would do well.

The Beauchief is inhabited by myself and some other property guardians currently. We live in the building to ensure that it doesn't go dilapidated and keep it secure.

In return, we get to live in an awesome hotel, for very little rent and bills included. It's a bit of a commune type thing.

I think the flats have been given planning permission, but it could be years before they need to move us out.

The Beauchief is inhabited by myself and some other property guardians currently. We live in the building to ensure that it doesn't go dilapidated and keep it secure.

In return, we get to live in an awesome hotel, for very little rent and bills included. It's a bit of a commune type thing.

I think the flats have been given planning permission, but it could be years before they need to move us out.

That's really interesting to hear, we got married there a few years ago and were sad to see it close.

Is it a bit strange being there when it's all deserted? Do you have access to the bar and restaurant areas?

Will be gutted if it affects Emma Harrison's income ...

How she got away Scott free needs investigating,a reason I won't drink Thornbridge.

squatting then??:suspect: JUST ASKING:hihi:

squatting then??:suspect: JUST ASKING:hihi:

Haha! It's a form of perfectly legal squatting I guess. Property Guardians live in houses and buildings across the UK. You can live in Stately Homes, old schools, care homes, hotels or full houses and flats.

The idea is that the person that owns the property doesn't want to have it ruined by vandals etc so rather than paying a security company a small fortune to be there constantly and paying to heat the place so it doesn't fall into disrepair, they move in property guardians. We may next to nothing in rent and all bills included and live in these spectacular buildings. In return, the client has a form of income from the property until they figure out what they are doing with it. In some care homes as an example, they are never going to re-open and may stay as a guardianship for a decade etc. It's a win/win for everyone involved, including the building owner. It still has security and monitored CCTV etc but we add extra security and look out for any issues etc. Plus, we live in a shared space with cool, like minded people in interesting buildings around the country.

Most guardians I think move in as they can save up most of their wage towards a house deposit or travelling or whatever they want to do. It's a very cheap way of living in very expensive cities. I saw a flat in Camden, London SW1 for £400 a month on a property guardian site the other day. Can't exactly beat that in London!

---------- Post added 19-07-2017 at 08:52 ----------

That's really interesting to hear, we got married there a few years ago and were sad to see it close.

Is it a bit strange being there when it's all deserted? Do you have access to the bar and restaurant areas?

Not really. I have lived there for nearly 2 weeks now and it's just like home. I have a lovely double ensuite room with all my home comforts, we all use the kitchen and there are other communal areas to use if people wish to. We can access the bar and such but it's mostly off limits to us so I don't go down there. I use one of the private dining rooms as a second sitting room and a storage space. It has a chandelier and a big beautiful marble fireplace so it's a bit grander than big yellow storage lol

Edited by Darkladyv

Just watching Right on the Money and there are a couple of people living in a property as property guardians they pay £220 each pm to live there and that includes CT and all the utility bills.

hmmm, it is really boarded up now..... not just the building but all alongside the roads...

I drove past yesterday and as I was sat at the lights I noticed there are large areas of roof tiles that have been removed.