Old School Pals - Pipworth Road School

I went to Pipworth Rd. 1949 to 1954 lived on Paulet Rd.The best teacher I ever had was Mr Wilkinson really big guy with ginger hair.He ran the cricket and football teams also involved for many years with Sheffield Boys teams.Other family members also went there Eliza Gray ,Rita Jenkinson.and Ken,Reg,Henry Jenkinson.

I live in Australia but attended this school until 1952. I still have 2 old school reports. One is signed by my teacher E.Woods and the Head Master W.H.Barrett. I lived on Prince of Wales Road from birth until I got married and was there during the blitz.

We all had a shower from miss wadsworth in assembly lol add mr miskin had biggest nose iv seen on a teacher lol then desperate dan mr cook he looked massive and he lifted you up when he hit u.great times though always got a cola cube off dinner lady mrs smith lol

Ah yes i remember those showers! Also remember a certain assembly where Miss Wadsworth was talking to the kids about litter and decided to pick up a teachers handbag and throw everything out of it. I did love Mrs Wadsworth though, she really took me under her wing.

I also remember Miss Woodhead, she was a lovely teacher and i really enjoyed her classes. Happy times. I was at Pipworth from 1967 to 1975 then to Waltheof.

have just seen this tread for the first time. I attended Pipworth Rd School, started in late 1942 and left at the end of 1952. In the first post severals names were mentioned but unfortunately I couldn't place one of them. I too remember Miss Drinkwater and strangely enough I can't any other teachers from the infant school. Teachers in the juniors are also hard to remember except for Miss Warren the head teacher who in my opinion was a bit of a battleaxe. The seniors I do remember Mr Smith the science teacher, a truly great person, got me interested in the subject, and I'm still learning. Mr Pickering was another good teacher. Mr Moorcock, who when was mad his bald head turned a distinctive shade of red, but if you showed an interest in gardening, you were friends for life. Miss Needle taught maths, Mr Palfyman did sports, Mr Hughes was originally the woodwork teacher, but after a confrontation with taller than average students, he was move to the arts class. The music teacher was a little fat bloke but I couldn't give a name, but he was alright. There was a teacher who used to do the girls sports, she always wore very short shorts which found interesting, but we had no idea why. I sure some of the male teachers had a furtive glance at Miss Deacon's shapely pins. The kids in our year included Tony Smith, Alan Marshall, Lawrence Brian MottMck

I went to the school during the same time, my surname then was Turton. I remember Miss Drinkwater and Mr Pickering and my teacher Miss Woods and the Headteacher E Warren as this is signed on my report which i still have. I can remember there was another Maureen in my class and at the time she lived in Greenwood Avenue around the corner from me in Prince of Wales Road. When I was 15 I had a boyfriend who lived near the little shops just up from the school and that we used to go and get a bread cake (I think they were called) from there for 1 penny. Sadly I don't remember my old boyfriend's name except that he also lived in Prince of Wales Road. I am currently writing a book about my memories during the war years, and even though I was only 8 when it finished, I can remember quite a lot and I have begun to write down these recollections.

Hi my dad lived on the wybourn estate and was born in 1944 he had a younger sister called norma..ive seen a post on here off slack alice saying her mum is noma and she had an older brother called terry.please could you get in touch with me as im sure your my family ive been looking for.jeanette xxx

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 09:32 ----------

My dads name is terry batty i have an auntie called norma batty.i would love to know if you are ok z

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 09:38 ----------

hi, i know this is an old thread but thought i would reply anyway. my mums maiden name is norma batty, but she wasnt born until 1949 - had an older brother called terry, they lived somewhere on the wybourn estate. could this be the same person? My mum doesnt really talk much about her past.
hi im terry battys daughter.he told me he had a sister called norma.tgey lived on the manor estate.i was born in sheffield in 1983 and we moved to wales when i was 3.his mum was winnifred xx

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 10:51 ----------

Does anyone remember theresa shillito born in 1942.thats my mum.she has a sister and 3 brothers x

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 19:53 ----------

i remember a raymond smith think he used to live on prince awales road near hastillar j

Hi i have an auntie called norma batty but ive never met her.her brother terry batty is my dad and we moved to wales in the 80s x

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 19:58 ----------

hi, i know this is an old thread but thought i would reply anyway. my mums maiden name is norma batty, but she wasnt born until 1949 - had an older brother called terry, they lived somewhere on the wybourn estate. could this be the same person? My mum doesnt really talk much about her past.

Hi sorry it was the wybourn estate not the manor.been talking about different places in sheffield and the manor was stuck in my head.my dads mum was winnie/winnefred.im new to this forum so im still trying to work it out ha ha x

Edited by Jeanette bat

i went to pipworth then across to waltheof left in 1982

i went to pipworth but i left for south africa 1980 my name is andrew davies

---------- Post added 21-12-2016 at 21:19 ----------

did you have a sister called Michelle Roe?

i whent pipworth school but i left to go to south africa in 1980 my name is andrew davies

I spent all my school years attending Pipworth Road school (1944 to 1954) The teachers I remember were:Mr Pilley,Miss Needle,Mr Smith, Mr Cliffe, Mr Moorcock and Miss Warren. I lived on Hastilar road from birth up to getting married in 1961.My name is Brian Gott--does anyone remember me?

---------- Post added 01-02-2017 at 11:19 ----------

going further back than others on this thread - my ex wife went to pipworth road school when young - would be around 1946/7 onwards when she would be 5 years old.

Probably no one will remember her - margaret turner - probably changed schools when her family moved to beaumont road, off prince of wales road.

She is still alive and lives with her second husband

regards - grey eminence - malaysia

i went to pipworth road school from 1944 to 1954 and wonder if you remember me. My classmates were ronald kay,hillary butler,dereck pheonix,ronald thornton, twins pat & pam smith,barbara thorpe,malcolm mawby,peter clover,keith eaton.

My name is Jim Porter and I attended Pipworth Road School, infants and juniors, from 1946 until 1952. My teachers in infants were Miss Drinkwater, Miss Eames and Mrs Cook and in juniors Miss Tucker, Mr Wilkinson and Mr Baxter. The fellow pupils I remember were Peter Hibbert( Mousey ), Robert Cooke, Derek Worrall, Derek Firth, Phillip Sheriff, Tony Wilkinson. John Driver, Margaret Hull, Jean Whittaker, Marie Elbrett, Sylvia Colley, Sandra Butterworth and Rosemary Butler.

I went from there to City Grammar School in 1952, then to Imperial College in London. Worked for some time in South Wales, then in West Yorkshire. Now live in Epsom in Surrey. Pipworth was a great school; does anyone out there remember me or any of those I have mentioned?

Edited by jimporter12
Spelling mistake

I went to the school during the same time, my surname then was Turton. I remember Miss Drinkwater and Mr Pickering and my teacher Miss Woods and the Headteacher E Warren as this is signed on my report which i still have. I can remember there was another Maureen in my class and at the time she lived in Greenwood Avenue around the corner from me in Prince of Wales Road. When I was 15 I had a boyfriend who lived near the little shops just up from the school and that we used to go and get a bread cake (I think they were called) from there for 1 penny. Sadly I don't remember my old boyfriend's name except that he also lived in Prince of Wales Road. I am currently writing a book about my memories during the war years, and even though I was only 8 when it finished, I can remember quite a lot and I have begun to write down these recollections.
my dad went there but I think he would have left has the war started around 1939 his younger sister maybe a 4 years later