Football Gound floodlights

I haven't lived in Sheffield for thirty years but I can still see live Premier games on Tv where I live. Where does the floodlighting for night games come from as there doesn't seem to be any pylons around grounds anymore. Are they built into the stands? and as they are powerful does it affect the player's vision ?

Trivia, but did Brammall Lane, Hillsborough and Sheffield Stadium all have 5 pylons for their floodlights?

Trivia, but did Brammall Lane, Hillsborough and Sheffield Stadium all have 5 pylons for their floodlights?

Bramall Lane had five pylons and Hillsborough had six. What do you mean by Sheffield stadium? Don Valley had five.

We're spoilt these days with Sat Navs, internet football ground guide etc.

I kinda miss the old days when you'd drive to an away game not having a clue where the football ground was and you'd drive around a town until you saw the floodlights.

Most modern stadiums (or is it stadia?) have the lighting in built into the fascia of the roof, or hanging down below. with modern lighting methods (LED etc) you don't have to have the lighting high on pylons to get the spread of light onto the playing surface - although variations on pylons are still used, like these at the London Stadium - https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.psam.uk.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F02%2FStadium-CGI-small-1024x560.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.psam.uk.com%2Flondon-mayor-announces-vinci-appointed-as-operator-for-former-olympic-stadium&docid=1ywst2YLPCSgtM&tbnid=espASesYNjTmrM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiRsvS307PVAhWIB8AKHUF2DNkQMwgpKAMwAw..i&w=1024&h=560&safe=strict&bih=760&biw=1536&q=london%20stadium%20floodlights&ved=0ahUKEwiRsvS307PVAhWIB8AKHUF2DNkQMwgpKAMwAw&iact=mrc&uact=8

Edited by AMR67

Guest makapaka
We're spoilt these days with Sat Navs, internet football ground guide etc.

I kinda miss the old days when you'd drive to an away game not having a clue where the football ground was and you'd drive around a town until you saw the floodlights.

Used to love that.

Remember coming over the hills into burnley one night and the ground was lit up in the middle of the town - used to get the buzz as you saw it.