Remember Birley School?

Those dinner ladies at Birley school in my time there, 65-68 approx. deserved a medal for the heavenly grub they put on for us undeserving brats. I really looked forward to shepherds pie, chips and snips, stew and dumplings (hello girls), meat and tater pie followed by manchester tart(s), spotted dick, bakewell tart(s), different coloured custards etc every day. The only snag was the salads with grated yellow cheyz because this would be dished up on Tuesdays and when us lads played football (for real working class boys, not like them bourgeois snobs at Thornbridge with their rugby and cricket) for the school team it was on Tuesday after school, when we got changed into our kit without the heating on plus the nervousness of the pending match we kept going to the lav and we tiddled (slashed) pink and that was the bleading beetroot fromt salad at dinner time!!TRUE STORY THAT. Remember them glasses we drank water outen? made in France, the name was inside, corroco or summat? More later.

Zakes, you missed out the cheese flans and the baked beans that never actually tasted like baked beans!! there was also the strawberry shortcake, you had to get in early for that! Remember the teacher sitting at the `head` of the table? They always made you eat up.

What was the name of that teacher we had for French? she always threw the blackboard rubber usually at the lads, and, what was the name of the R.E teacher? and, did anybody really take any interest in R.E anyway.....

Your old friend Zakes recentlyrequested the full lyrics (words) to the Bagdad song that the girls in lynnielass(es) class(form) sang. Am still waiting, so if i receive the full lyrics to the song and the lyrics(words) to 2 other songs, namely up a ladder down a ladder in dictation......And ickle ockle chocolate bottle......Then i will give serious consideration to revealing my name to the intriqued, impatient lynnielass! If i would have been a girl i would have wanted her as my best mate at school. Ps. Is it true that Mester Knox (another trunt) the maths teacher used polo mints as garters to hold up his socks? Almost finally, what were them round triangular things made of folded paper with writing on them that the girls stuck their fingers into and moved about and asked questions, a game of some kind called? Thanx for your time and patience folks.

Zakes. Nether Edge. Finally, list of others at Birley 1 or 2 years older than us, im 56 in March. Pete fenwick, steve secker, bobcut, kevin stephenson, adele stephenson, peter kaye, gary bottomley, katherine ibbotson, pat dodsworth, rosie staniland and jeff betts.

Yes, i do remember those teachers you mention Lynn, but i cant recall their names.. Im not mastermind, just a mere overgrown schoolboy! Thanx for pointing out other delicasses from the menu, yum yum. Im not masterchef either! My second biggest regret in life was not to have eaten at the same table as you!!

You`re so sweet!!!! But what i`m really curious about is, how come you knew the chants??? and , after all these years how can you remember them cos i`d forgotten. Do you see any of the old classmates?

Zakes. Nether Edge. Finally, list of others at Birley 1 or 2 years older than us, im 56 in March. Pete fenwick, steve secker, bobcut, kevin stephenson, adele stephenson, peter kaye, gary bottomley, katherine ibbotson, pat dodsworth, rosie staniland and jeff betts.

I know Pete Fenwick and Steve Secker, Pete Still lives in Birley and Steve lives in Beighton.

been reading this !! lol had to poke my nose in im sorry but i have to say come on put lynnilass out of her misery and do tell even im interested now lol :hihi:

Not 100% sure of post so deleted.

Sorry

Edited by jongo

There was a lad who lived nearby in our class, his name was (is) Paul Overhand. One day in the science lesson the teacher asked (told) him to xplain to the rest of us thickos the PWINCIPLE OF A BAWOMETER, he fullfilled the task with flying colours. That lad was reight clever, shudda gone to Thornbridge then Uni. The teacher was Mr Phipps (yet another trunt).

Has anyone got any school photos to put on this thread? Unfortunately any I had have been lost in time.!

It was on the drawbridge at midnight.....I was asked most recently if i see classmates from over 40 years ago. Well, i've had loads of success, i have seen three!!! The first was David Steptoe Stephenson (no longer with us), we used to cross paths in the early 70's in the Buccaneer and the Wapentake, we both at that time wore afghan coats. Rest peacefully friend. My next victim was the ever radiant Lynn Stacey who(m) i espied entering Rackhams (Pauldens) about 8-10 years back from today. My heart skipped a beat and i dint speak to her because i was shy or yitten or probly a mixture of both and the chance to present myself was lost, damn and blast! In the New Inn on Gleadless Common/Hollinsend Rd was the scene 3-4 years ago where i met the third ex-Birleyist his name being David Siddall, now this lad if i remember was someone who wanted to learn and not be disruptful like me and others, hopefully he succeeded. Anyway, i recognised him straight away in the battle cruiser and sauntered over and told him that i knew his face frum school, he failed to recall my face so i told him my name (??) and he instantly mentioned the science lab incident of 42 years back......