Council and water rates

i live in a flat and have a water meter works out at 5pounds a week

so it is possible to have a water meter

We are in council tax band a and no it doesnt say anything about ratable value on rent and water rates bill, all it states is the weekly amount for water rates, the fiver admin charge is max they allowed to charge on ofwat site, funny enough council computers down when i phoned to ask about it!!!

We are in council tax band a and no it doesnt say anything about ratable value on rent and water rates bill, all it states is the weekly amount for water rates, the fiver admin charge is max they allowed to charge on ofwat site, funny enough council computers down when i phoned to ask about it!!!

Just had look at a letter received from SCC about changes to the rent and how it is calculated.

It states quote: "The value of your home based on January 1999 values = £19,000.

Got the water rates slightly wrong as its £9.29 per week, but even at that valuation it still seems to be high according to some on here.

I have a water meter in my flat, I am paying £12 a month by direct debit. My flat is fairly new though, I think they were built in about 2007.

I have a water meter in my flat, I am paying £12 a month by direct debit. My flat is fairly new though, I think they were built in about 2007.

I'm not sure when it started, but we moved to a brand new house in 1992 and by then all new builds had to have water meters.

we pay £40 a month at s5 and the water doesnt even look clean

why is it in a council flat we pay £100 per year water rates more than yorkshire waters average cost??, eg 8.57 x 50 weeks = 428.50 and yourshire water web site state average chatge 2013/4 is 368, are council ripping us off here???

I rang yorkshire water and asked why mine was so high, they said it was a rate based on the house as it was in 1979!! the house is now converted into 1 bedroomed flats yet i am paying more than a woman i work with who has a 3 bedroomed house. i think they need to update their systems a bit.

just seen someone else has put that it is based on 1999 rates, i think the guy i spoke to at yorkshire water might have had his facts wrong if that is the case!

Edited by chipspice
updated

why is it in a council flat we pay £100 per year water rates more than yorkshire waters average cost??, eg 8.57 x 50 weeks = 428.50 and yourshire water web site state average chatge 2013/4 is 368, are council ripping us off here???

Are you not able to have a water meter installed " on line " with your water inlet to your flat and pay directly to Yorkshire water . I would suggest that it would be much cheaper .

You are paying £429 a YEAR for water in a flat?

Jesus, I pay no more than £200 a year and I live in a house! Get on a meter, sharpish!

WhaT he said, get a meter ASAP

Where a property doesn't have a water meter, the charge is based on the old rateable value. We (two of us) have a meter, never have baths just showers (not a power shower), and have a water butt for the garden. We pay nearly £500 a year.

We're trying to work out if we've got a leak somewhere. :confused:

i was on a water meter i saved a lot by filling a bag with pebbles and put them in your toilets water system a toilet uses a lot think its 10 litres every time you flush save you a bit there .

i was on a water meter i saved a lot by filling a bag with pebbles and put them in your toilets water system a toilet uses a lot think its 10 litres every time you flush save you a bit there .

The old American adage for the loo " if its green let it be seen , if it's brown flush it down " . A lot of water can be saved this way .

The old American adage for the loo " if its green let it be seen , if it's brown flush it down " . A lot of water can be saved this way .

Green? :gag: