Has there ever been a prison in Sheffield?

As the title of the thread suggests, I am curious to find out if Sheffield has ever had a prison, borstal or a YOI?

Also if it hasn't, are we one of the only major UK cities never to have had it's own prison?

And before Scotland street the debtors gaol was on King street - then known as Pudding lane.

There was also a 'lock-up' under the first town hall at the entrance to the churchyard.

As the title of the thread suggests, I am curious to find out if Sheffield has ever had a prison, borstal or a YOI?

Also if it hasn't, are we one of the only major UK cities never to have had it's own prison?

Hollowmeadows was a borstal on the road out of Rivelin.

Hollowmeadows was a borstal on the road out of Rivelin.

Never in a thousand years is this true there as never been a borstal in sheffield

Lodge Moor Had The Prisoner Of War Camp.

Never in a thousand years is this true there as never been a borstal in sheffield

I agree, and i can only think of Shirecliffe and the Moss that were local authority run care order/remand homes that were for the under 17s. Borstals were abolished around the mid 1980s

think Hollowmeadows was a work house, now luxury housing.

Osbourne House on burngreave road, wasn't that a borstal/careorder/remand home ?

Dean.

When was [scotland St Debtors' Gaol] in use?

Still looks preferable to Ocean Finance's T&C's

Sheffield Local Register

14 Jun 1868

Act to abolish Scotland street prison and other debtors' prisons from the 1st August, 1858, received the Royal assent.

Hugh