Diatomaceous earth experiences for flea control

As above, I would particularly like to hear from people with several dogs and cats please.

its fantastic. well worth a try after nothing else worked

I use it on poultry. My dogs are outside kennel dogs but I wouldn't use DE as its a respiratory irritant. I would never consider using it on my house cat.

I use it on poultry. My dogs are outside kennel dogs but I wouldn't use DE as its a respiratory irritant. I would never consider using it on my house cat.

Yes, this is one of the things that puts me off trying it, I know after its on its ok but its breathing it in thats a worry, I've had a box of it sat in the hall for well over a month but cant bring myself to use it...I know I know :hihi:

Its not okay once its on. The DE will get into the atmosphere of your house. It can cause pneumonicosis (SP?) if it builds up in your lungs.

I am seriously considering using DE/ Been looking at it for a while now and weighing up the pros and cons etc. Been told the white powder is the stuff to use ??? Is that right?

There are two types agricultural grade and food grade and you must use the food grade. I take it myself and mix it in with my dogs food. Same for the cats and birds.

To control fleas you need to apply DE to the outside of the animal. Feeding them DE is meant to control worms. I have heard mixed reports of the effectiveness of feeding DE. I apply DE to the outside of my poultry but worm them rather than put DE in their feed. I have tried adding FE to their feed (according to the instructions) but personally I didn't find this effective.

ive used the food grade DE it worked brilll or after effects for us dog or cat and no more fleas

Ok going to get some food grade DE .............. wish me luck and I will report back :thumbsup:

Diatomaceous earth is basically silica, and amorphous silica at that, so you would have to inhale it regularly for years if not decades to get silicosis. I'm sure they have to label it as a respiratory irritant for that reason, but isolated exposures won't do you any harm (unless you already have some preexisting respiratory complaint presumably). I've used it for decades as a filtration aid and I'm fine.

Diatomaceous earth is basically silica, and amorphous silica at that, so you would have to inhale it regularly for years if not decades to get silicosis. I'm sure they have to label it as a respiratory irritant for that reason, but isolated exposures won't do you any harm (unless you already have some preexisting respiratory complaint presumably). I've used it for decades as a filtration aid and I'm fine.

If you put DE on pets it will get into the atmosphere of your home. I have used it as a filter aid but this process uses the DE in a liquid so its not in the atmosphere.

DE is a skin, eye and lung irritant. See link to data sheet. You don't always see the damage immediately. You can be exposed to asbestos and cigarette smoke for years before you see the damage.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9923703