Optometrist spared jail

An optometrist who failed to spot symptoms of a life-threatening brain condition during a routine eye test of an eight-year-old boy who later died has been given a two-year suspended prison term.

Honey Rose, 35, failed to notice that Vincent Barker had swollen optic discs when she examined him at a branch of Boots in Ipswich.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/optometrist-spared-jail-for-failing-to-spot-brain-condition-which-killed-boy/ar-BBw5lM8?ocid=spartandhp

I wonder how many Optometrist's out there are skimping on eye examinations, Having had both the free examination and paid for another there must be a difference as the paid for examination took almost twice as long as the free one?

An optometrist who failed to spot symptoms of a life-threatening brain condition during a routine eye test of an eight-year-old boy who later died has been given a two-year suspended prison term.

Honey Rose, 35, failed to notice that Vincent Barker had swollen optic discs when she examined him at a branch of Boots in Ipswich.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/optometrist-spared-jail-for-failing-to-spot-brain-condition-which-killed-boy/ar-BBw5lM8?ocid=spartandhp

I wonder how many Optometrist's out there are skimping on eye examinations, Having had both the free examination and paid for another there must be a difference as the paid for examination took almost twice as long as the free one?

Well I can safety say that the Optometrists at Boots in Sheffield are very good.

I went for an appointment earlier this year and they spotted that I had bilateral papellodema (the thing that was not spotted in the case mentioned) and I was told to go immediately to the hospital. The cause of my swollen disks was different from the boy in article (turned out I have a brain tumour) but the symptoms are the same.

I didn't pay for my appointment but I think that is because I get contact lenses from boots so my eye appointments are free.

A very sad and unfortunate thing - but extremely rare thank God.

My eye examinations are always free because of my very poor eyesight - the standard of examination has never varied - always excellent in my experience.

an optometrist once missed a chatarcaht on my eye.

an optometrist once missed a chatarcaht on my eye.

I find that hard to believe, were you moving around too much. Lol, Sorry I couldn't resist that.

My eyes are getting bad with "Dry EYE" I was offered an Op. 4 years ago, last month I was offered Drops?

An optometrist who failed to spot symptoms of a life-threatening brain condition during a routine eye test of an eight-year-old boy who later died has been given a two-year suspended prison term

What the?!

When did a precedent get set

Of criminalising our health professionals??

Jesus Christ :mad:

What the?!

It is called manslaughter by gross negligence. It has been around for a while. If someone has duty of care (which medical practitioners do) and is negligent to such a degree that somebody dies, it is a crime.

Harsh that someone doing a fairly normal job can be jailed for "missing" something. We are not all perfect and bad things sometimes happen.

Angel.

Harsh that someone doing a fairly normal job can be jailed for "missing" something. We are not all perfect and bad things sometimes happen.

Angel.

Optometrists are trained so if they do their job properly they don't miss things like that. There needs to be some recourse for failures that result in another persons death.

I agree that a jail term would have not served much purpose, but I see no problem with community service and a suspended sentence.

Angel.

So if a gas fitter makes a balls up of fitting your boiler and your house explodes would you chalk that up to "bad things sometimes happen"?

What the?!

If your doctor mis-diagnoses you / fails to spot you have a serious illness due to carelessness - and anyone looking properly would have seen it then thats fine by you then:huh:

Gross negligence manslaughter - the death is a result of a grossly negligent act (or omission) on the part of the defendant. Not a difficult concept eh Sol

Angel.

Except that she was not jailed.