Local french councils ban the "Burkini" on French beaches

there seems to be some fuss about various states of provocative dress on French beaches, is the Burkini the same as a long flowing sundress??

should the wearing of it be banned?

Yes!! Everyone should be naked.....

On a serious note, i don't see how wearing a 'burkini' is any different to wearing a wet suit.. Both cover the entire body!

It's ridiculous that in 2016 people can't wear what they want..

If it's the law then they should stick to it.

I can't see anything wrong with it but the face thing should be banned.

---------- Post added 26-08-2016 at 11:28 ----------

Yes!! Everyone should be naked.....

On a serious note, i don't see how wearing a 'burkini' is any different to wearing a wet suit.. Both cover the entire body!

It's ridiculous that in 2016 people can't wear what they want..

Try wearing a bikini in Saudi.

If it's the law then they should stick to it.

I can't see anything wrong with it but the face thing should be banned.

---------- Post added 26-08-2016 at 11:28 ----------

Try getting me to go to Saudi!!! :)

That isn't even an argument. It's a dull cliche.

there seems to be some fuss about various states of provocative dress on French beaches, is the Burkini the same as a long flowing sundress?
For what examples I've seen of it, it's like a "thin" wetsuit. It's not a neoprene niqab or burka, put it that way ;)

No.

Its wearers should remain entirely free to make themselves hot and uncomfortable, and look completely ridiculous :thumbsup:

Habitually, wetsuits are put on just before spending extended periods of time in or under water, then taken off (and preferably rinsed and hung up) just after.

For the life of me, as a scuba diver for over 20 years, I can't ever remember seeing anyone rocking up to the seaside in, and then spending most of the day in, a wetsuit. Were they doing so, they'd soon learn the virtues of applying liberal amounts of nappy rash cream, put it that way :D

Edited by L00b

I feel pretty uncomfortable about people being ordered to strip off.

I'm not really a beach kind of person, and if I was, I'd be there in a kaftan and sun hat to keep my ridiculously fair skin out of the sun. Can't see much difference really.

there seems to be some fuss about various states of provocative dress on French beaches, is the Burkini the same as a long flowing sundress??

France like the UK is a liberal society and in such a society no one should be told what they can or cannot wear. However, I don't find those that wear a burka etc as exercising this freedom. They are being told what to wear by family, friends, religious leaders or the quran.

You can see real freedom arriving in areas of the world where ISIS is being pushed back and these women for example are casting off their burqa's while men are shaving off their beards.

Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan all had freedom until recently where people had the right to wear what they chose. Men then imposed strict religious doctrine and these freedoms vanished. Fighting for people to have the right to indoctrinate and then remove other's freedoms is counter-intuitive.

Can you fix an issue of women being coerced to wear something, by coercing them to wear something else?

Can you fix an issue of women being coerced to wear something, by coercing them to wear something else?
Since the measure is not specifically aimed at them, but is in the general interest of the French population at large and has been formally recognised as such by none other than the ECHR, I'm afraid your question is redundant.

But the solution, for those coerced amongst these women, clearly lies with their partner in the first place. And has done at all time since before the ban regardless.

And the solution, for the others exercising free will amongst these women, lies with emigration, depending on their strength of belief. These are arguably the proverbial tip of the iceberg and, where France and its grand total of 2,000 burqa wearers are concerned (out of 6.5 million Muslims), an infinitesimally small one at that.

Since the measure is not specifically aimed at them,

This is the most ridiculous attempt at justification that I've seen yet.