Do you use a cleaner? What do they do?

As a part time warden helping old and disabled folk to go about their basic every day tasks , I often get asked if I would clean for the daughter or other relation of my clients.

This always gets me rather angry as the said relation is in most cases just an every day worker just like my self.

These people may have jobs in what they consider to be of higher value than a mere manual worker but usually they are on a forty hour five day week.

Now my point is why do they think that their life style is so important that they would need a cleaner, maid or domestic servant?.

Why can they not clean up for themselves , why do they think that some one else should swill out their bog or pick and put their soiled nickers in the washer this on top of dusting ,window cleaning, hoovering and generally keeping their nice little abode spick and span while they have coffee with the girls, golf with the lads or ride a stationary bike at the gym. (usually reached by BMW or Volvo when they could just walk any way.

Most people of my generation have brought kids up while working part time this on top of performing all their own domestic tasks ,digging the garden, and decorating the home. So what has happened that many in todays yummy mummy, daddy ,society think that they are not capable or indeed above cleaning up their own mess and instead decide to get a woman( usually anyway) in.

Edited by samssong

People who can afford it and for whom freeing up time is more valuable than the relatively low cost of employing a cleaner.

When you work a high stress job the last thing you want is coming home to have to do the ironing or vacuuming. The thing that has happened is that women have become emancipated and actually have careers now rather than being seen as domestic goddesses that run up the credit-card bill. Not sure what your issue is with that to be honest.

If someone wants to employ a cleaner and someone wants the job - fine. Two people happy.

There are probably a lot of people who work on the grey economy who are just trying to bring in a little extra income in order to get by.

There is always two sides to every story.

My sister and husband work long hours, and have a long commute, the last thing they want to do is spend what's left of their evening cleaning the house.

They don't even know who the cleaner is, man or woman, they come from an agency and just keep the house clean and tidy. They don't do laundry or window cleaning. If someone wants to pay someone else and provide them with honest work, rather than do it themselves, why should it bother you so much?

People who can afford it and for whom freeing up time is more valuable than the relatively low cost of employing a cleaner.

When you work a high stress job the last thing you want is coming home to have to do the ironing or vacuuming. The thing that has happened is that women have become emancipated and actually have careers now rather than being seen as domestic goddesses that run up the credit-card bill. Not sure what your issue is with that to be honest.

Depends on what your high stress is.

Is it getting up at five in the morning to go on a 12 hour shift at the steel works.

Or getting two or three kids up and ready for school before getting the bus to a part time job in the cutlery or other pin money job ,then rushing home from work to get the kids tea ready while having a clean and polish round before dad gets back from his seven days nights or seven days days twelve hour shift.

Stress. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 31-03-2016 at 15:12 ----------

My sister and husband work long hours, and have a long commute, the last thing they want to do is spend what's left of their evening cleaning the house.

They don't even know who the cleaner is, man or woman, they come from an agency and just keep the house clean and tidy. They don't do laundry or window cleaning. If someone wants to pay someone else and provide them with honest work, rather than do it themselves, why should it bother you so much?

As long as they pick up their own grots and don't consider themselves to be a little above their station no probs.

I have friends in the cleaning industry and the state of some of those so called high flyers houses leave a nasty taste in the mouth.

Depends on what your high stress is.

Is it getting up at five in the morning to go on a 12 hour shift at the steel works.

Or getting two or three kids up and ready for school before getting the bus to a part time job in the cutlery or other pin money job ,then rushing home from work to get the kids tea ready while having a clean and polish round before dad gets back from his seven days nights or seven days days twelve hour shift.

Stress. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 31-03-2016 at 15:12 ----------

As long as they pick up their own grots and don't consider themselves to be a little above their station no probs.

I have friends in the cleaning industry and the state of some of those so called high flyers houses leave a nasty taste in the mouth.

Don't be daft, you are missing out the key-point of my post, I will repeat for your benefit: People who can AFFORD IT and for whom freeing up time is more valuable than the relatively low cost of employing a cleaner.

It is that simple. It is the same as telling people it is stupid to buy prepared meals instead of cooking themselves because that is cheaper. Convenience, it makes life a lot better.

PS - you missed out the second point and I'd like you to answer it: Is emancipation of women a bad thing?

Don't be daft, you are missing out the key-point of my post, I will repeat for your benefit: People who can AFFORD IT and for whom freeing up time is more valuable than the relatively low cost of employing a cleaner.

It is that simple. It is the same as telling people it is stupid to buy prepared meals instead of cooking themselves because that is cheaper. Convenience, it makes life a lot better.

PS - you missed out the second point and I'd like you to answer it: Is emancipation of women a bad thing?

Better ask the domestic help;)

I employ a maid in Zimbabwe, its part of the culture still in this country and it provides for the local economy , she costs me $10 per day it provides for her to support her family , pay school fees. Not sure as anyone unless they are very rich still has a maid in the uk

I agree. My son and d-I-l have cleaners who clean the kitchen, bathrooms, vacuum and polish and clean the windows. The ladies have their own company and work at several of the houses nearby. My son and d-I-l work hard and earn good money, similar to other professional parents. When they have free time, they want to relax with the children, as well as ferrying them to music, football, swimming etc.

They certainly don't treat the ladies who clean with anything but respect, why would they?

My mother didn't work when I was a child, back then housework was much more intensive. I worked from my children starting school, and never had a cleaner, we didn't have the income, also we never had a large house. If people can afford it, I don't see why not. Surely it's better to provide employment than put it in the bank!

Better ask the domestic help;)

I did (we get on well) and this is what she would say: Tim don't be daft, because I work as a cleaner I have something to do and I get to go on holiday 4 times a year!

She is in her fifties and grew up believing women could maybe amount to secretary if they were allowed to school.

Will you address that point now, or are you really going to pretend to be emancipated by arguing all people employing cleaners are evil human beings for making more money than you do?

---------- Post added 31-03-2016 at 19:23 ----------

Surely it's better to provide employment than put it in the bank!

100% right!

As a part time warden helping old and disabled folk to go about their basic every day tasks , I often get asked if I would clean for the daughter or other relation of my clients.

This always gets me rather angry as the said relation is in most cases just an every day worker just like my self.

These people may have jobs in what they consider to be of higher value than a mere manual worker but usually they are on a forty hour five day week.

Now my point is why do they think that their life style is so important that they would need a cleaner, maid or domestic servant?.

Why can they not clean up for themselves , why do they think that some one else should swill out their bog or pick and put their soiled nickers in the washer this on top of dusting ,window cleaning, hoovering and generally keeping their nice little abode spick and span while they have coffee with the girls, golf with the lads or ride a stationary bike at the gym. (usually reached by BMW or Volvo when they could just walk any way.

Most people of my generation have brought kids up while working part time this on top of performing all their own domestic tasks ,digging the garden, and decorating the home. So what has happened that many in todays yummy mummy, daddy ,society think that they are not capable or indeed above cleaning up their own mess and instead decide to get a woman( usually anyway) in.

My god what a load of unnecessary and pointless bile.

I don't clean and choose to pay for a cleaner. I am not green fingered whatsoever and choose to pay for a gardener. I cant iron to save my life so choose to get my clothing laundered by someone else. I certainly don't wash my own car and choose to pay for a gang of foreigners to do it for me.

Im busy running my business and looking after my family. I want to spent what little spare time I have doing other things and certainly not domestic chores. Its my choice to spend some of my earned income to pay for someone else to do that.

Will it make your head explode if I suggest that I also have staff to type my letters, answer my phone and run errands for me too.

Its providing work to people. What's your problem?

There are 1001 things people COULD do themselves. There are lots of services that people COULD manage without.

Wouldn't do much for the job market though would it.