What's Owen smith up to?

You may remember there was a referendum back in June - it was in the papers. The keener eyed of you may remember that traditional labour heartlands in England voted out, by some distance.

Labour leader wannabe has decided it would be a good idea to have another referendum and effectivly ignore those labour heartlands. Again.

The scots might be pleased but it sounds like a really good way to not get elected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37167253

You may remember there was a referendum back in June - it was in the papers. The keener eyed of you may remember that traditional labour heartlands in England voted out, by some distance.

Labour leader wannabe has decided it would be a good idea to have another referendum and effectivly ignore those labour heartlands. Again.

The scots might be pleased but it sounds like a really good way to not get elected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37167253

Do you think he has ANY chance of beating Corbyn?

I'm pretty cross at Owen Smith for proposing to defy the referendum result.

I'm far more cross at Jeremy Corbyn for his band of thugs running around demonstrating the most extreme vile, threatening, abusive and disgusting behaviour I can ever recall defacing UK politics.

Owen Smith's position runs against the best practises of democracy. Jeremy Corbyn's lot threaten the democratic foundations of the country. It's a case of the lesser evil. By miles in this case.

Do you think he has ANY chance of beating Corbyn?

Up until this point, possibly. He's still pretty left leaning but this is bonkers. It's like he's trying to lose.

Up until this point, possibly. He's still pretty left leaning but this is bonkers. It's like he's trying to lose.

Is it soo bonkers? Lots of Labour voters are already lost to UKIP. The ones that voted remain will probably not ever vote UKIP. Statistics suggest Corbyn convinced 64% of Labour voters to vote Remain (if true I'm surprised Brexit won!). I don't think it's off the wall.

But I can't see Smith beating Corbyn.

Is it soo bonkers? Lots of Labour voters are already lost to UKIP. The ones that voted remain will probably not ever vote UKIP. Statistics suggest Corbyn convinced 64% of Labour voters to vote Remain (if true I'm surprised Brexit won!). I don't think it's off the wall.

But I can't see Smith beating Corbyn.

You could argue he's trying to hoover up the middle class leftie vote but that, again, leaves great swathes of the populace either not voting or voting for fringe parties. There were many bad points about the referendum but at the very least it brought back a lot of disenfranchised voters.

Smith is after the young left vote. He will change his very changeable mind after the leadership election, which he will lose and the dustbin of history will close its lid on him

Smith is after the young left vote. He will change his very changeable mind after the leadership election, which he will lose and the dustbin of history will close its lid on him

Along with the party.

You could argue he's trying to hoover up the middle class leftie vote but that, again, leaves great swathes of the populace either not voting or voting for fringe parties. There were many bad points about the referendum but at the very least it brought back a lot of disenfranchised voters.

I think you are right; he's trying to hoover up everyone that voted Remain but will never vote Tory. I could see that leading to a coalition LabCon Government.

I'm pretty cross at Owen Smith for proposing to defy the referendum result.

He's not. The terms of our divorce from the EU are up for discussion. He just wants a mandate for these terms via a GE by way of a manifesto or a second referendum.

He's not. The terms of our divorce from the EU are up for discussion. He just wants a mandate for these terms via a GE by way of a manifesto or a second referendum.

What happens if the people reject the terms?

What happens if the people reject the terms?

Then we don't Brexit, presumably.