Car road tax will I lose out

Help please just purchased a car ,so with the new laws I have to tax now

But if I do I will lose nearly a months tax what can you do can you sorn it

And leave on my drive till first of September then tax

All you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask

https://www.gov.uk/vehicletaxrules

But it doesn't mention anything about how to tax your car if you buy it on a Sunday, which many private buyer's do, especially if they have to drive a distance to view and buy.

Post offices aren't open on Sunday's or online.:confused:

But it doesn't mention anything about how to tax your car if you buy it on a Sunday, which many private buyer's do, especially if they have to drive a distance to view and buy.

You can do it using an automated telephone number..0300 123 4321 .. or do it online..

Edited by truman

It's easy to do online, I 'taxed' my partner's bike during the evening so it never closes, it only took a few minutes.

As long as you have insurance and valid MOT of course.

If you buy the VED towards the end of a month, you will still pay for the whole month, but that has always been the case. If you want to drive it or park on the road, you will need to buy the VED straightaway. If its parked off road you can SORN it, but how will you get it home?

Edited by Isabelle

Help please just purchased a car ,so with the new laws I have to tax now

But if I do I will lose nearly a months tax what can you do can you sorn it

And leave on my drive till first of September then tax

If the car was/is still taxed when the seller was selling it and you have insurance and car has test just drive it home as you won't trigger any a n p r cameras .once home put it on your drive and then tax it from beginning of next month .

If the car was/is still taxed when the seller was selling it and you have insurance and car has test just drive it home as you won't trigger any a n p r cameras .once home put it on your drive and then tax it from beginning of next month .

And if anyone asks you'd best claim that it was driven to your house by the seller before you executed the transaction...

You can do it using an automated telephone number..0300 123 4321 .. or do it online..

Thanks, Truman and Isabelle, for your helpful replies.

Seems a lot of effort, just get the seller to knock £20 off the price, if it means that much to you!

why can you not pay for road tax like your mot then you don't lose out its just another way for the gov to screw us in tax ?

It's easy to do online, I 'taxed' my partner's bike during the evening so it never closes, it only took a few minutes.

As long as you have insurance and valid MOT of course.

If you buy the VED towards the end of a month, you will still pay for the whole month, but that has always been the case. If you want to drive it or park on the road, you will need to buy the VED straightaway. If its parked off road you can SORN it, but how will you get it home?

You don't need to have a car insured in order to tax it.

Just park it up till start of month