Why do people think they are entitled to home ownership?

I don't understand the issue or even why this is getting so much attention in terms of people getting on to the property ladder? I find it really striking how different we are compared to continental Europe where renting is considered the norm.

People need to understand that owning your own home isn't some kind of entitlement that requires government intervention. It is a matter of living within your means and if that means renting, then so be it.

Edited by ez8004

Well it gets a lot of attention because it makes for loads and loads of cheapo television programmes that fill the airwaves. On a serious point I suppose people don't want to be seen as different from anyone else so end up taking on unsustainable mortgages, and having no money left for anything else in life.

I wasn't aware that people did see home ownership as an entitlement that requires government intervention?? I would've thought most people are knowledgeable enough that should they default on their mortgage then the bank will repossess their home.

I rent because I prefer it that way.

People need to understand that owning your own home isn't some kind of entitlement that requires government intervention. It is a matter of living within your means and if that means renting, then so be it.

I think the problem is the other way around. The Government throw money at people, and bend over backwards so that people buy get into home ownership. Although fewer are doing so. Rather surprising since we are meant to be getting richer.

A relative of mine is in a housing association house, she was told it didnt fit the criteria that allowed her to buy it. So they offered her a part ownership in a new build a mile away.

Help to buy, various Government schemes, helping people to buy, and keeping house prices rising.

I will be getting 35% discount when I buy my council house, which is like giving me over £30,000

They dont think they are entitled, but it is cultually aspirational and soemthing previous generations were able to do much more easily. Its not as simplistic as libing within your means becayse a lot of home ownership is based upon the government employing a policy which gives a fair chance of meeting demand. Only government can make those sort of changes.

We have more of a tradition of home ownership where they have a much more advanced rental sector and consoderably more rights for renters.

I would've thought most people are knowledgeable enough that should they default on their mortgage then the bank will repossess their home. I rent because I prefer it that way.

If you dont pay your mortgage or rent, then you are homeless, same for both.

If you dont pay your mortgage or rent, then you are homeless, same for both.

Well true enough.

Renting costs more than buying.

This.

It should never be the case, but it is.

You pay rent for life,a mortgage for 25 years.i am now mortgage free and own a house worth £150,000.

Guest makapaka
I don't understand the issue or even why this is getting some much attention in terms of people getting on to the property ladder? I find it really striking how different we are compared to continental Europe where renting is considered the norm.

Because it's right that people who are able to pay for their own home should have the ability to buy one and therefore put themselves in a better financial position.

It's not an entitlement for anyone to own their own home but it's wrong if you work and earn money which could pay a mortgage but instead are unable and have to pay equal or more in rent (in private renting to better someone else's financial position).

---------- Post added 14-08-2016 at 20:17 ----------

Well it gets a lot of attention because it makes for loads and loads of cheapo television programmes that fill the airwaves. On a serious point I suppose people don't want to be seen as different from anyone else so end up taking on unsustainable mortgages, and having no money left for anything else in life.

I wasn't aware that people did see home ownership as an entitlement that requires government intervention?? I would've thought most people are knowledgeable enough that should they default on their mortgage then the bank will repossess their home.

I rent because I prefer it that way.

It's entirely upto the individual of course but if you can afford to buy, and choose to rent, then that's a financial decision that will ultimately leave you worse off. If you're not bothered about being worse off - then you don't have a problem.

I can't understand why some people resent council houses being sold/bought. People are awarded a council house presumably to be in it for virtually their entire life, making it unavailable to anyone else during that time, therefore what difference does it make if its been sold off?